A&H

glad you're back, Evan, because....

haywain

the voice of reason
Level 7 Referee
...my ocd led me to your 'wrong restart' thread

I.e. stop play to caution a player for dissent and the restart is an idfk to the opposition from the place where the offence occured and not a drop-ball.

I made the same mistake last sunday. On the plus side, since I didn't realise it, I sold it really well....despite the fact that the opposition were preparing to take a free kick from the edge of their opponent's penalty area.

Nobody questioned it and I suspect that they thought that I'd blown for a foul.

Where dissent is concerned, I can see the sense in waiting til the ball has gone out of play, in such situations. (Only down side being that it might not go out of play for a while)

In the same match, just before half-time, the keeper was claiming that the ball was out of play over the goal-line during a challenge with an attacker. I was edge of penalty area, car wasn't signaling, so I called play on

After ball was eventually cleared down field, keeper shouted to me from 25/30 yards away that I needed to sort my life out. I considered stopping play to caution for dissent but opted to blow for half time and had a word with him as he came off the pitch. Told him my life was fine (which wasn't entirely true :))

Had I stopped play to book him, I would have restarted with a drop-ball some 30 yards from goal.

The correct decision, as I now realise thanks to your thread and my ocd, would have been an idfk to the opposition on the edge of the goal area, which is where the keeper was standing when he shouted. That would have been fun :)

Last edited:
Reactions: ELP
The Referee Store
Stopping the game to caution for dissent is at its most powerful when it is a defending player moaning despite his team running up field with he ball. All of a sudden they have a free kick to defend when they should be getting in the opponents area. It's heart breaking for his team mates and they will usually let the loud mouth know that he needs to shut up which is an added bonus.

Reactions: ELP
Stopping the game to caution for dissent is at its most powerful when it is a defending player moaning despite his team running up field with he ball. All of a sudden they have a free kick to defend when they should be getting in the opponents area. It's heart breaking for his team mates and they will usually let the loud mouth know that he needs to shut up which is an added bonus.

Was taught this trick during my referee course. Only used it once. But boy doe sit teach them to keep quiet.

Back