A&H

Gloves on pitch

atfccookie

Level 7 Referee
This is just a small question from a recent game and one that caused no incident, but i'd like to know the correct approach.

Scenario: Goalkeeper takes goal kick from his hands, as players challenge for headers in middle of pitch I spot some gloves on the pitch. I blow my whistle and then remove the gloves from the pitch. I restart by dropping the ball to the keeper in his area as when I'd blown the whistle the ball was still in the air and thus the last possession was with the keeper.

Was this the correct restart or should I have approached this differently?

I hope that makes sense?

I've only refereed 10 games so far so haven't encountered minor things like this before.

The Referee Store
This is just a small question from a recent game and one that caused no incident, but i'd like to know the correct approach.

Scenario: Goalkeeper takes goal kick from his hands, as players challenge for headers in middle of pitch I spot some gloves on the pitch. I blow my whistle and then remove the gloves from the pitch. I restart by dropping the ball to the keeper in his area as when I'd blown the whistle the ball was still in the air and thus the last possession was with the keeper.

Was this the correct restart or should I have approached this differently?

I hope that makes sense?

I've only refereed 10 games so far so haven't encountered minor things like this before.

nit pick: it's not a goal kick if its from his hands--a goal kick is a restart after the ball goes over the goal line. It's useful for referees to get in the habit of using technical terms for their technical meaning

If you choose to stop, yes, your restart was correct; but as suggested above, probably not worth stopping play for this as it's extremely unlikely to have an effect on the game and can be addressed at a natural stoppage.

nit pick: it's not a goal kick if its from his hands--a goal kick is a restart after the ball goes over the goal line. It's useful for referees to get in the habit of using technical terms for their technical meaning

If you choose to stop, yes, your restart was correct; but as suggested above, probably not worth stopping play for this as it's extremely unlikely to have an effect on the game and can be addressed at a natural stoppage.

Thankyou for your response that's really helpful.

No problem with you nitpicking re goal kicks and using correct technical terms. What is the correct way to refer to a goalkeeper kicking from hands?

No problem with you nitpicking re goal kicks and using correct technical terms. What is the correct way to refer to a goalkeeper kicking from hands?

anything but goal kick! ;) Lots of different terms are used--punt, drop kick, fly kick. (At least in the US, punt would refer to a kick by the GK that doesn't hit the ground before it is kicked, and a drop kick is a kick as the ball comes up from the bounce--which typically results in a lower trajectory than a punt.)

Well, you just used (more or less) a perfectly correct way of saying it: "a goalkeeper kicking (the ball) from his hands."

@socal lurker had given some other acceptable forms of wording although "punt" is more of a US term - it was certainly never used in the UK when I was growing up.

Reactions: one
Well, you just used (more or less) a perfectly correct way of saying it: "a goalkeeper kicking (the ball) from his hands."

@socal lurker had given some other acceptable forms of wording although "punt" is more of a US term - it was certainly never used in the UK when I was growing up.
Punt was used extensively round my way:

Punt it upfield
See also
Punt upstream (oarless rowing boat with a stick)
Take a punt (bet)
Take a punt (euphemistic optimism!$

Punt was used extensively round my way:

Punt it upfield
See also
Punt upstream (oarless rowing boat with a stick)
Take a punt (bet)
Take a punt (euphemistic optimism!$
I wasn't trying to say that the word punt didn't exist in English when I was young, of course it did but the second, third and fourth definitions you give were the only ones I'd ever heard before the influence of US media and the growing familiarity with US 'gridiron' football made the use of it to mean 'kick', more common. I suspect I'm several decades older than you and that might have something to do with it.

My copy of the Oxford English dictionary gives 'punt' meaning 'kick' as a North American colloquial expression

I wasn't trying to say that the word punt didn't exist in English when I was young, of course it did but the second, third and fourth definitions you give were the only ones I'd ever heard before the influence of US media and the growing familiarity with US 'gridiron' football made the use of it to mean 'kick', more common. I suspect I'm several decades older than you and that might have something to do with it.

My copy of the Oxford English dictionary gives 'punt' meaning 'kick' as a North American colloquial expression
“Toe punt” Peter!

That’s what other players would shout at me before every corner and free kick I would take thanks to me erm... trademark technique;)

In the 70s! In the rolling Sussex downs!

You must’ve been under a rock ;) And you need a better dictionary. Lol

The claim credit for everything though, lights, Jets, computers and even Pizza, None of them theirs though! 🥰

“Toe punt” Peter!

That’s what other players would shout at me before every corner and free kick I would take thanks to me erm... trademark technique;)

In the 70s! In the rolling Sussex downs!

You must’ve been under a rock ;) And you need a better dictionary. Lol
By the 70's you're probably right - that's about the time I rememember it starting to be used in the sense of 'kick.' I was talking about a time somewhat earlier than that.

Back