A&H

Goal keeper wins ball but clatters attacker

SM

The avuncular one
Had an interesting one today. Attacking team launch a ball which invites an attacker to try and challenge the keeper at around the edge of he area.

The keeper punches the ball away but then clatters the attacker with his momentum in a reckless manner. The punch on the ball is inside the area, the contact with the attacker is just outside.

I give a freekick to the attacker and caution the keeper for the reckless challenge.

Cue shouts of "he's last man ref" :D oh dear.

Attacker didn't make a lot of fuss. Dusted himself down and got ready for the freekick which made the decision to caution the keeper rather than red for sfp an easier sell.

The keeper was claiming there was nothing he could have done to stop himself. But calmed when he realised he wasn't getting sent off (which was the scream from the attacking team sideline)

Thoughts?

The Referee Store
I don't think the keeper could have done much with his momentum making him collide with the attacker, i would have to see it to judge it, if the keeper had leading arm or leg making contact with the attacker first as he collided then you were correct.. If it was just the momentum being the villain then just make sure attacker not seriously hurt ;)

It's a bit of a tricky one. The simple answer is that by the time he committed the foul, the attacker had already lost possession of the ball.
But upon further thought, it occurred to me that it may have only bee because of the foul that allowed the attacker to lose possession of the ball - ie that if the keeper hadn't entered the challenge in a manner that resulted in a foul, he wouldn't have won the ball.
But something still doesn't entirely feel right about that.
My current thinking is that it's a bit of a gut feeling one - if it's quite clear that the keeper could not have won the ball without committing the foul, then maybe there's a case for DOGSO. If it was the case where the foul wasn't critical (eg took a few steps after hitting the ball), or there's a bit of a delay, then it's no longer OGSO.

I feel that the presence of the keeper and the handling may cloud the issue (personally, I don't think those facts are terribly pertinent; others may disagree). We can look at other examples where a player may 'get the ball first' but still get the opponent, such as a slide tackle that goes 'through' the opponent, winning the ball first. Could they be DOGSO or not?
I'm trying to find some common ground on thinking on this case rather than attempting to muddy the issue by changing the scenario. Apologies if I unintentionally had the opposite effect :)

It was one of those where the keeper didn't look like he needed to make contact with the attacker the way that he did. He took the opportunity to make his mark on the attacker was my opinion. The only question in my mind was reckless or excessive force. It was a classic 1980s challenge that would have been applauded by all as "how it should be done"

As far as DOGSO, the keeper had knocked the ball far enough away to make sure there was no go scoring opportunity - it was what he did after that. So happy it was not a DOGSO.

Well, my point no DOGSO wasn't whether the keeper had knocked the ball far away or not, it was whether the foul was necessary to him winning possession. I'm thinking that if it looks like he couldn't have won possession without committing the foul, then even getting the ball first, DOGSO could still apply.

But from your description it sounds like it's not an issue. I think I can picture what happened and it sounds like you've handled it appropriately. I've done the same thing - keeper kicks the ball away from an attacker but takes an extra couple of steps and flattens the attacker without any attempt to slow himself down. PK + caution.

I personally think Keepers get plenty ? if not too much protection !

I understand they are vulnerable and need protecting but on the other hand when they come for a ball with their studs and knees up at head height ...this needs looking at .

I was a striker, I got clattered many times, but then I got to clatter the keeper just as many times. (20 years ago or so you could get away with a lot more than now :D )

Both parties look for opportunities to leave a mark, I get that. Given it was my position I understand the give and take of it, so to speak. As a ref, it's interpreting what both little sh*ts are up to - sometimes it's fair, sometimes one of them is up to no good :)

Back