A&H

Goal kick..........

The Referee Store
Have a look at the TWO incidents that led to the penalty

Start the video at 1:10

The referee initially gives the goal as he points towards the half way line, so it appears it is the assistant who has decided it didn't go in.

I get the point about checking the nets, and if it had gone through a hole in the side netting I would get this and be suggesting it may explain the decision. But it hasn't, and the ball crosses the line way inside of the post and hits the point where the back and side netting meet. Sorry, but anyone who can't see that this was a valid goal shouldn't be anywhere near a football pitch, hole in the net or not.

Wow, plenty to discuss there!!

I think he got the IFDK (including the decision to not send the GK off) and the penalty award correct - then made a boo-boo on the result of the penalty ...

Didn't the great Meatloaf once proclaim that 2 out of 3 wasn't bad ..?

I think he got the IFDK (including the decision to not send the GK off) and the penalty award correct - then made a boo-boo on the result of the penalty ...

There was certainly a decision to make on whether the pass back was deliberate but I would have given the defender the benefit of my doubt. The penalty award was obviously correct but was the red card for the defender merited?

Didn't the great Meatloaf once proclaim that 2 out of 3 wasn't bad ..?
Woah Nelly.
I strongly disagree. The defender is in the act of tackling. I don't interpret that as a deliberate pass back to the keeper. No one on the field is expecting an IDFK there.
And you are giving a penalty for hand ball and red card I guess? We have the discussion before on these boards about defenders instinctively protecting their faces with their hands up so I think this is not a self evident penalty for every ref. And is the shot goal bound - when there are 2, 3, 4 other players... is it a certain red?

This looks like a triple SNAFU of biblical proportions from the tape;)

Woah Nelly.
I strongly disagree. The defender is in the act of tackling. I don't interpret that as a deliberate pass back to the keeper. No one on the field is expecting an IDFK there.
And you are giving a penalty for hand ball and red card I guess? We have the discussion before on these boards about defenders instinctively protecting their faces with their hands up so I think this is not a self evident penalty for every ref. And is the shot goal bound - when there are 2, 3, 4 other players... is it a certain red?

This looks like a triple SNAFU of biblical proportions from the tape;)

For the deliberate pass - my interpretation of how the ball reached the GK was the defender - for whatever reason - appearing to flick it back / up to the GK for a clearance ... it isn't 100% clear from the footage - but - that was my best guess (brave to give it, not saying I would - but - I think I can see why he has)

For the penalty - yep hand ball - it looks like an attempt by the defender to spread himself with feet and arms - however - taking your view on board - I am left wondering where the arms should go in this situation - he isn't reaching for the sky or doing a worzel gummidge - so I can see your view ... once the handball has been decided then it has to be a red for denying the opportunity - as per law - yes there are people around him, not necessarily all lined up behind him - but - law says to dismiss him for denying the obvious opportunity given the proximity to goal and strength of shot

For the penalty - yep hand ball - it looks like an attempt by the defender to spread himself with feet and arms - however - taking your view on board - I am left wondering where the arms should go in this situation - he isn't reaching for the sky or doing a worzel gummidge - so I can see your view ... once the handball has been decided then it has to be a red for denying the opportunity - as per law - yes there are people around him, not necessarily all lined up behind him - but - law says to dismiss him for denying the obvious opportunity given the proximity to goal and strength of shot

To be pedantic, I would consider this as DENYING A GOAL (by deliberate hand ball) rather than DENYING OBVIOUS GOAL SCORING OPPORTUNITY. There is perhaps an argument regarding the number of players behind the offender but his sole intention is to block the shot on goal and therefore I feel that the red card is correct, particularly as it is so close to goal anyway.

While in a tackle, the defender clearly and deliberately kicked the ball towards the keeper. IFK is fine there.

As for the PK - I can't see the contact clearly enough to decide.

As for the goal - just a difficult situation for the officials to be in really. Very difficult to spot with enough certainty to award a goal.

What do we think of his position for the IFK?

Back