A&H

Goal scored after ball hits attacker's arm

ARF

RefChat Addict
Ran the line on an FA Cup game today. Away team won 1-0. Home team were complaining because the winning goal went in off the attacker's arm. I've seen it, and explained that it wasn't deliberate, so it's a goal.

Home team's manager tells me at the end of the game that because he's got it recorded that I've said it hit the player's arm and not done anything, he's going to report me to the league (again, it was an FA Cup game) :facepalm::D

The Referee Store
Ran the line on an FA Cup game today. Away team won 1-0. Home team were complaining because the winning goal went in off the attacker's arm. I've seen it, and explained that it wasn't deliberate, so it's a goal.

Home team's manager tells me at the end of the game that because he's got it recorded that I've said it hit the player's arm and not done anything, he's going to report me to the league (again, it was an FA Cup game) :facepalm::D
Amazement the Bournemouth goal didn't get a mention or Jacqui Oatley's tweet
Good luck to the home team's appeal!

Wasn’t the wisest comment to make. Let the referee speak to them if he wishes to.

We can’t really blame the club. The FA haven’t posted anything rebutting Riley’s opinion.

Wasn’t the wisest comment to make. Let the referee speak to them if he wishes to.

Sometimes as senior AR that isn't possible, saying nothing will just make the situation worse.

Personally I would like to see a law change to say that a goal can't be scored by a hand or arm even if accidental. No caution would be needed, but I think it would clear things like this up.

He wasn't bench side. After watching the video on twitter the attackers arm actually stopped the ball crossing the goalline, and then someone followed in and scored.

We can’t really blame the club. The FA haven’t posted anything rebutting Riley’s opinion.
Disagree.. Explanation is sometimes the best option moving forwards.

Disagree.. Explanation is sometimes the best option moving forwards.
And sometimes especially when anything you say may be used against you in the court of flaw; You say it best when you say nothing at all :)

Home team's manager tells me at the end of the game that because he's got it recorded that I've said it hit the player's arm and not done anything
"it hit the player's arm". I believe even all players say ball to hand is not a handball.

And sometimes especially when anything you say may be used against you in the court of flaw; You say it best when you say nothing at all :)

"it hit the player's arm". I believe even all players say ball to hand is not a handball.
What's to be used against? The description provided by the OP is 100% within the LOTG. Often stating that handling is accidental is better than not saying anything at all.

What's to be used against? The description provided by the OP is 100% within the LOTG. Often stating that handling is accidental is better than not saying anything at all.
Methinks you missed the lightheartedness of the first paragraph :). Court of "flaw", and the song title.

I was only supporting your statement. If "Explanation is sometimes the best option moving forwards", other times it is not.

Back