A&H

Goal with substitute on the fop

SM

The avuncular one
second half kicks off and straight away a brilliant through ball from red finds a player free, running like a train into the opponents penalty area. The red player unleashes a screamer of a flying volley (no opponents nearby to be endangered) into the top corner of the onion bag as you realise that the player taking the shot is a substitute who you had not allowed onto the field of play.

It's the best goal in the world ever.

What happens now?

The Referee Store
No goal IFK and 2 bookings by the letter of the law I suppose
No goal, IDFK and a caution for the player who scored the goal. The player he has replaced has left the field at half time, when it is implied that he has the referee's permission. He cannot be cautioned for not re-entering the field.

No goal, IDFK and a caution for the player who scored the goal. The player he has replaced has left the field at half time, when it is implied that he has the referee's permission. He cannot be cautioned for not re-entering the field.
There is always someone lurking around to p...s on your bonfire .;)

Alas this has never happened in a game of mine as I always the managers before the half kicks off if any subs have been made ;):rolleyes:

Last edited by a moderator:
This falls back to the referee, IMO.

There's an argument that by kicking off, you've accepted by implication any substitutions that have been made. Of course, there's the argument that it's the player's responsibility and still their fault. The higher the league the more you can be justified in that approach, but I'm not convinced any action should be taken nor the goal disallowed.

This falls back to the referee, IMO.

There's an argument that by kicking off, you've accepted by implication any substitutions that have been made. Of course, there's the argument that it's the player's responsibility and still their fault. The higher the league the more you can be justified in that approach, but I'm not convinced any action should be taken nor the goal disallowed.
I tend to agree.
Though LOTG states :"the referee must be informed before any proposed substitution is made" - half-time or not.
Am I chalking out a goal in the Redhill and District Sunday Division 5?? Probably not as roll-on, roll-off makes the whole substitution lark a shambles anyway. If I was refereeing intermediate football without roll-on, roll-off, I would disallow the goal and caution.

I find this question interesting.

Firstly, the Lotg provide clear guidance for a substitute starting the game in place of a named player.

It does provide guidance for a substitute or substituted player entering the fop - it just isn't quite so clear that this applies to substitutes made during the half time break. But as that is the only guidance that could apply, it supports stopping the game, idfk and caution. It also adds that the substitute then leaves the fop - presumably so you can invite him back on? (Which is the bit that makes it not quite fit)

As stated above, the player leaving had permission to leave the fop of play at half time, so he cannot be cautioned for not returning.

It seems to be one of those situations which doesn't quite fit the Lotg or the guidance fully?

Back