A&H

Goalie backpass - "Can I pick it up ref or is it a backpass?"

Whatever the circumstance,if in the opinion of the referee the nature of the play was the intention of the ball to reach the keeper... even in a tackle.... then yes... back pass and IDFK. Difficult one for me is if player stops the ball dead and shields it for the keeper to pick it up and has made no intention of kicking ball TO the keeper.. is it a back pass?, bearing in mind the quote in law of "deliberatley kicking the ball to the keeper" Perhaps it could be classed as "circumventing" the laws of the game and would warrant an IDFK(bit like, kicking the ball up then heading it to keeper).....

The Referee Store
Whatever the circumstance,if in the opinion of the referee the nature of the play was the intention of the ball to reach the keeper... even in a tackle.... then yes... back pass and IDFK. Difficult one for me is if player stops the ball dead and shields it for the keeper to pick it up and has made no intention of kicking ball TO the keeper.. is it a back pass?, bearing in mind the quote in law of "deliberatley kicking the ball to the keeper" Perhaps it could be classed as "circumventing" the laws of the game and would warrant an IDFK(bit like, kicking the ball up then heading it to keeper).....
Circumvention is a caution - and it's an IFK because you stop play for a caution.

I think we just have to judge what 'kick' means. I always figured that, in the context of the laws, it's any contact between the ball and player that the player initiated. He's made an action to trap the ball, so that's a 'kick' in a way.

@mikedn the point being made, I believe, is a tackle is deliberately kicking the ball. Ie he means to touch the ball with his foot. It's just people are interpreting it differently.​

A tackle is a deliberate kick, but it's not intentionally 'to' the keeper. The word 'to' is just as important as 'deliberately kicked'.

I agree. I'd never give it for a tackle personally, but I can see why some might enforce the rule like that.

Four years of refereeing and I've only ever given one freekick for a back pass!

A couple of years ago I blew for a back pass when, to get out of trouble, a defender kicked the ball to his keeper. However, he kicked it high, and the keeper had to jump to clear it over the crossbar. For me, it was clear the intent was to pass it to his keeper for his keeper to clear. He just got it wrong. Complaints from the sidelines, but not from the defender. Would you blow in a similar situation?

If he deliberately kicked it to his keeper then yes I'd have given it. Did the same in an U11 game - just imagine the excitement of the defending team when I told them they have to stand on the line!!

If he deliberately kicked it to his keeper then yes I'd have given it. Did the same in an U11 game - just imagine the excitement of the defending team when I told them they have to stand on the line!!

My one and only back pass freekick was a similar age. Might have been younger. Cue about an hour explaining firstly to the defending team they had to stand on the line, then another hour explaining once the ball is touched they can move. Then another hour explaining to th attacking team it was indirect so had to touch another player before it could go in. They scored, but made me wished I hadn't bothered blowing for it, such a pain.

Circumvention is a caution - and it's an IFK because you stop play for a caution.

I think we just have to judge what 'kick' means. I always figured that, in the context of the laws, it's any contact between the ball and player that the player initiated. He's made an action to trap the ball, so that's a 'kick' in a way.

Surely it has to be contact with the players foot !

Crack on with it then if that's what the FFF say. But if you ever make the Fifa list, for gods sake stick to the English wording :p

Before making the FIFA list I would have to go up the french ladder so yeah, definitely gonna crack on with it :p
But I have a meeting soon, i'll ask my "superiors" about it and see what they think about it

Back