A&H

Got my first game on a 3G pitch this weekend

DaveMac

RefChat Addict
Level 7 Referee
What should I expect? Will it play differently to normal grass much, also I understand you cant wear normal studded boots on there.

The Referee Store
The ball can run quite fast if the surface is wet. My local 3G pitch say no metal studs whatsoever, moulded studs/blades or astroturf trainers only as it's really expensive to replace the ripped turf. Would recommend astroturf trainers if you've got them as there isn't much 'give' in the ground (if you get what I mean) as you get with normal ground and grass so studs don't go into the floor.

Watch out for overhead cables and other lines on the FOP, as well as where the ball goes out of play close to the corners as there might not be corner flags.

@DaveMac - I hope the pitch is listed here :)

http://3g.thefa.me.uk/?countyfa=Essex

Definitely wear blades / moulds (not trainers) ... I'm very happy on 3G pitches - especially in the winter - you can trust players to move the ball around the pitch cleanly so you don't have to go too deep in case there is a mis-control (e.g. if the GK plays a goal-kick short to the right-back)

@DaveMac - I hope the pitch is listed here :)

http://3g.thefa.me.uk/?countyfa=Essex

Definitely wear blades / moulds (not trainers) ... I'm very happy on 3G pitches - especially in the winter - you can trust players to move the ball around the pitch cleanly so you don't have to go too deep in case there is a mis-control (e.g. if the GK plays a goal-kick short to the right-back)

Bingo, its on the FA approved list!

Referee sometimes at Passmores in Essex, nice 3g pitch but my god does it do my joints in!

Ah you're joking! I have to stretch my back to within an inch of my life on grass, I'll be crippled come Monday, especially as I'm doing two games on it back to back!

I love 3G courts Dave! Ball runs true etc - perfect

I'd advise soft moulds etc - gives you a little grip of the surface is wet

You won't want to go back to. Muddy grass pitch

Im another with HertsFinest, 3G is great for the teams playing football, however I always ache a lot more after a match on 3g than grass

Why wouldn't 3G allow flat shoes? Modern turf surfaces shouldn't have any restrictions - I know older ones do though.

I've worn Futsal boots on these pitches before because it gripped perfectly well and was more comfortable - but I always test out what I'm going to wear first on a few quick, short sprints and turns.

Aside from that, nothing really different. No bobble which is nice.

I do 95% of my games on 3G pitches. I had my moulded studs two games and it was awful for my feet, since that i ref in black and white Rosh Runs, swaggy ref

Why wouldn't 3G allow flat shoes? Modern turf surfaces shouldn't have any restrictions - I know older ones do though.i

I've worn Futsal boots on these pitches before because it gripped perfectly well and was more comfortable - but I always test out what I'm going to wear first on a few quick, short sprints and turns.

Aside from that, nothing really different. No bobble which is nice.

Been told it flattens the artificial grass. Have a few contrib clubs with 4g now and they have signs up and keen grounds staff who will not let you on with flat shoes or trainers.

3G pitch local to me now only allows trainers to be worn, but it's an awful pitch anyway! But wearing trainers does flatten the surface over a period of time.

On a side note. 4G doesn't actually exist yet, it's just companies ways of trying to sell their turf by making it sound better.

Back