A&H

Grimsby player retrospective punishment

Whenever possible, I'd have reasonably deaf ears for terms I didn't consider particularly offensive IF the target of the slur (also) did not appear offended.
It's a difficult mindset to explain, but I wouldn't want to solely deem something offensive, unnecessarily marring a game with my own storm in a teacup
My hearing would have to become sharper higher up the ladder because the stakes are higher for everyone and any hint of prejudice becomes very unlikely to go unnoticed

Last edited:
The Referee Store
That’s a common word in these parts but not one that I’ve heard on a pitch??

The most common one as a supporter was the opposition player with big scruffy hair and maybe a beard was often called a Gypo in a chant maybe. I remember Mickey Quinn getting pelters about his appearance and weight, he then scored and chucked the ball up his shirt and stumbled around pregnant. He actually got applause at the end from the Kop. It’s not always said with the actual meaning it’s said as banter. Bit different as a player though!

Last edited:
Before reading this thread, I don't think I would have sent off a player for using the term "pikey". I'm aware of the word but I did not appreciate the racist nature of the word until reading this thread. Of course, I would now sanction the use of this word with a red card and this is why it is important to continually highlight racism in football - referees can never stop learning an we must change the way we referee based on the changing needs of football.

Before reading this thread, I don't think I would have sent off a player for using the term "pikey". I'm aware of the word but I did not appreciate the racist nature of the word until reading this thread. Of course, I would now sanction the use of this word with a red card and this is why it is important to continually highlight racism in football - referees can never stop learning an we must change the way we referee based on the changing needs of football.

i started this whole thing, and, even though I be amazed to hear it in future, given I had until this morning never heard the term, am not sending off for that
Asked to report it, by all means
Burn me at the stake, but just as we all have selective eye sight at times, selective hearing would certainly be utilised hear.

Ps, I spelt here wrongly to be amusing.

I'm offended that @Ciley Myrus thinks hippy is an offensive term.....just remembering the 1960's hippy culture of love and peace....where's the offence in that. If only we were all hippies.

I'm offended that @Ciley Myrus thinks hippy is an offensive term.....just remembering the 1960's hippy culture of love and peace....where's the offence in that. If only we were all hippies.

no no no, am saying, if this Pikey is offensive ( confirmed) then, the closest I can think of here is, Hippy

'get up ya hippy bass'

of course, to be a hippy on the pitch, the guy will have barely more than a crew cut, thus making him a hippie

am also not dismissing for it!

i would help said hippie off the deck with a, ' there, are ok now John Lennon?'

problem solved

I think you also need to get a handle on what is discriminatory and what is "just" insulting.

Calling you a "neeb" or similar: this is insulting and it's up to you as a referee to decide if it fits your criteria for OFFINABUS. As has been on here for way longer than I've been posting, we know that is different for every referee - and the same term might be nothing, IDFK, YC or RC, depending on the ref and context.

Racist, sexist, homophobic or language about disabilities however, that is different. You know you have to report it, even if just an accusation.

(We really shouldn't go down the examples road but "hippy" is a tough one. You could find RC grounds, and hair length could be a factor, but I think it's probably going in the same bag as "wally". Thing is, you have to sanction though, because it's still an insult. We have been here before. If we don't sanction bad language - no matter how normalised it's become - then we are failing IMHO. Of course, I fess up, of course I let loads of minor swearing go unpunished, it's really hard to deal with.)

I think you also need to get a handle on what is discriminatory and what is "just" insulting.

Calling you a "neeb" or similar: this is insulting and it's up to you as a referee to decide if it fits your criteria for OFFINABUS. As has been on here for way longer than I've been posting, we know that is different for every referee - and the same term might be nothing, IDFK, YC or RC, depending on the ref and context.

Racist, sexist, homophobic or language about disabilities however, that is different. You know you have to report it, even if just an accusation.

(We really shouldn't go down the examples road but "hippy" is a tough one. You could find RC grounds, and hair length could be a factor, but I think it's probably going in the same bag as "wally". Thing is, you have to sanction though, because it's still an insult. We have been here before. If we don't sanction bad language - no matter how normalised it's become - then we are failing IMHO. Of course, I fess up, of course I let loads of minor swearing go unpunished, it's really hard to deal with.)

i posted a possible sexist real life example, ' dawl' here is say, equal to, darling I suppose
Guy goes down easy, defender ' oh get up dawl'
I.e, comparing the male footballer to a female one....

Pikey is an offensive term, there is little or no doubt about that. Of course if a referee doesn't know that there isn't a lot he can do at the time, however ...

... in England, as Brian has posted, there is a very clear protocol that must be followed if the referee is made aware of an allegation of discrimination. I've observed on a game where this happened and the referee followed it to the letter. I couldn't work out at the time why he had spoken at length to two players whilst taking notes but hadn't issued any cards, but after the game he asked me to stay in the changing toom. He called in the accusing player after the game with a club rep and took a statement from him, then after he had returned to his own changing room called in the accused player again with a club rep, told him what he had been accused of and that he would be reporting it.

It doesn't matter if the referee didn't hear it, or the referee didn't think the term was discriminatory, the procedure must be followed and it must be reported. Any referee not doing this would be in real hot water and almost certainly suspended/

I didn't have many of these type of incidents from memory, lots of banter, a few cusses, a few handbags, a few sweary words for sure, a few warnings generally sufficed but cards were always an option etc but maybe my reputation came before me and they were well warned before a game I don't know.

'Gypo' is quite common parlance I guess for the travelling community, but pikey, in my recollection isn't, not around here I suppose, although I'm aware of all the derogatory meanings etc. Who'd be a ref in Scotland, a wouldn't know my neeps from my tatties!!! ;)

Pikey is an offensive term, there is little or no doubt about that. Of course if a referee doesn't know that there isn't a lot he can do at the time, however ...

... in England, as Brian has posted, there is a very clear protocol that must be followed if the referee is made aware of an allegation of discrimination. I've observed on a game where this happened and the referee followed it to the letter. I couldn't work out at the time why he had spoken at length to two players whilst taking notes but hadn't issued any cards, but after the game he asked me to stay in the changing toom. He called in the accusing player after the game with a club rep and took a statement from him, then after he had returned to his own changing room called in the accused player again with a club rep, told him what he had been accused of and that he would be reporting it.

It doesn't matter if the referee didn't hear it, or the referee didn't think the term was discriminatory, the procedure must be followed and it must be reported. Any referee not doing this would be in real hot water and almost certainly suspended/
Unfortunately I've had occasion to watch this protocol in action twice. Once for a racist comment and the other for a safeguarding issue. I provided the referee with advice (based on the protocol) on both occasions. Both did what they needed to do and they could go home with a clear conscience.

Unfortunately I've had occasion to watch this protocol in action twice. Once for a racist comment and the other for a safeguarding issue. I provided the referee with advice (based on the protocol) on both occasions. Both did what they needed to do and they could go home with a clear conscience.

To his immense credit, I didn't have to suggest anything with the referee in my case. He had it totally in hand and handled it very professionally, indeed he had already initiated the protocol before I realised what was going on.

Back