A&H

Had to happen eventually....

mikedn

Referee/Mentor
Got my first long distance fixture in a couple of weeks (weather permitting) 35 mile round trip... in the middle of nowhere apart from a farm and a pylon..... But i don't mind because its FOOTBALL.:):););)

The Referee Store
The League i'm in are quite obliging and keep you within a reasonable distance of where you live,normally within a 10-15 mile radius.
I haven't got a problem with the distance just have to leave earlier to allow for traffic.I live near a main route to/from M6 so can get busy....

35p per mile. The home team will moan like hell. They always do.

Quite a commitment of time more than anything else. 1 HR 30 mins or so each way, plus getting there early, time for the game and then the whole post game stuff. Don't get to see a lot of the family :(

35p per mile. The home team will moan like hell. They always do.

Quite a commitment of time more than anything else. 1 HR 30 mins or so each way, plus getting there early, time for the game and then the whole post game stuff. Don't get to see a lot of the family :(
As long as you're back in time for X Factor eh? :).

In all seriousness, for anyone with family commitments, this is one of the factors when deciding how badly you want promotion. Going from a 10 minute journey, arriving 45 mins before start and leaving soon after finish to a situation where you're travelling an hour each way, arriving 75 mins before game and leaving an hour after finish is a massive change. Not for everyone .. but I'm loving every minute :)

Going for promotion this season. If I were lucky enough to be successful, the time commitment for travelling would increase significantly. 3 hours travelling there and back would seem like a going for a quick spin in the car!

The joys of wales eh?

Not something I have to concern myself with yet though. Quite a bit of work to be done before that can become a reality. Haven't had to broach the subject with the wife yet :ninja:

Fair play and good luck to everyone who wants to go for promotion and progress their refereeing career as far as they possibly can. Personally I never had and never will have any interest in going for promotion for various reasons. I referee for my son's u13s team as well throwing in other local games of all ages as and when it suits me, my creaking ageing bod and family life.

For the first 3 years after taking up footy, my son played for a Dorset league team, plenty of miles involved for away games. He's now in his 3rd season in the Bournemouth league, so normally less travelling involved. Although his team play in both the Bournemouth and Dorset cups, so get the occasional trek. Fortunately his club have declined an invite to join the Hampshire cup, otherwise away games could result in a trip to Isle Of Wight or Fleet near the M25.

As much as I do enjoy refereeing, can't ever imagine wanting to do it enough to justify a 3 hour round trip for a £20 odd fee. :confused: Done a few lengthy trips for my son's away matches, but I guess it's different when it's for your own kids and it gives the wife an excuse not to cook, as we like having dinner out! :D

Back