A&H

Handball (Again)

JH

RefChat Addict
I haven't read the new laws as of yet so if you have the new handball law, what do you think of this?

The Referee Store
That's a handball under both the old laws and the new laws.

She moved her elbow towards the ball; deliberate handball remains an offense.

This one does seem slightly more suspect HB and probably guilty as charged... I know.... i'm softening!!!

A still doesn't show it. The elbow moved up and away from the body after the ball was played, that is a penalty every day of the week.
The movement is VERY minimal. Far less of a penalty than the one in the England - Scotland game that had people outraged, for me anyway.

The player is trying to avoid contact. The ball is played from less than 3 yards away. Her starting arm position is natural. She moved her arm to try to get it out of the way but can’t.

For me there’s enough in the laws (proximity, unexpected ball) for this not to be an offence, but this is the worst of the new law and new extreme interpretation. It seems like any arm movement and ball to hand is an offence. I understand it but it doesn’t seem fair.

What I did like was the ref’s instructions at DFK in the Can-Cam game. Keep your arms by your sides. Not chest, not face, not up at all. Siimple, clear. I like that because it should mean goals.

Reactions: one
If seen, I think this was a HB at the professional level last year everywhere in the world except in England . . .

The "usually" stuff in the new Laws is just the guidance that has been being given

The elbow movement is a flinch for me and I wouldn't have given it from such close range

Back