A&H

Handball at close range and the wall

MumRef

Hello all (again), 2 questions here please. I wrote down from my training 2 years ago that handball coming at close range from the opposite team (obviously, if they haven't made their body unnecessarily larger, or moved their hand deliberately towards the ball) isn't handball. But I can't see that in the LotG. Any advice please?
Also, I know that an attacker shouldn't be within 1 metre of a wall. However, when you look at Premier League games, there seem to be attackers and defenders in the wall. Is this a new law?

The Referee Store
Q1. It was in the lotg but removed last year. I suggesting reading the current handball in law 12 and applying that.

Q2. No. Enforce the 1m. Whichever game you saw the referee wasn't any good 😊. Premier League referees are seldom are 😜

Q1. It was in the lotg but removed last year. I suggesting reading the current handball in law 12 and applying that.

Q2. No. Enforce the 1m. Whichever game you saw the referee wasn't any good 😊. Premier League referees are seldom are 😜
Thank you. I was reading the law 12 handball last night, and that's what made me wonder. That said, if they are very close range, it's surely likely to be accidental handball, ie the player wouldn't be able to get their arm out of the way in time so if it's in the middle of the field, ie not near a goal, I would be inclined to just play on if nothing much happens as a result. Any thoughts?

Pr
Hello all (again), 2 questions here please. I wrote down from my training 2 years ago that handball coming at close range from the opposite team (obviously, if they haven't made their body unnecessarily larger, or moved their hand deliberately towards the ball) isn't handball. But I can't see that in the LotG. Any advice please?
Also, I know that an attacker shouldn't be within 1 metre of a wall. However, when you look at Premier League games, there seem to be attackers and defenders in the wall. Is this a new law?
Proximity is still a factor in deciding whether to penalise for deliberate handling (whether an opponent or team-mate plays it)
The "wall" ruling only applies if there are three or more in the "wall", and remember that the metre is in any direction from it.
Coaches are teaching the erection of one or two mini-walls to extend the width of the defensive wall, obviously at least a metre away.

Thank you. I was reading the law 12 handball last night, and that's what made me wonder. That said, if they are very close range, it's surely likely to be accidental handball, ie the player wouldn't be able to get their arm out of the way in time so if it's in the middle of the field, ie not near a goal, I would be inclined to just play on if nothing much happens as a result. Any thoughts?
If it's accidental handling, we only penalise if the same player then plays the ball into the opposing goal directly.

The front on camera angle often makes it look like an attacker is closer to the wall than 1m when they aren't.

That said there's been a few goals scored with players within 1 metre but it's not reviewable by VAR.

Pr
Proximity is still a factor in deciding whether to penalise for deliberate handling (whether an opponent or team-mate plays it)
The "wall" ruling only applies if there are three or more in the "wall", and remember that the metre is in any direction from it.
Coaches are teaching the erection of one or two mini-walls to extend the width of the defensive wall, obviously at least a metre away.
Presumably if it's a mini wall then it's not a wall for lotg purposes, so attackers can approach?

Back