A&H

Handball , when to blow ??

James goodgame

Did a kids game today and the ball struck an attackers hand In the area after the ball bounced off the lads leg who was stood next to him . Played on and nothing came of it , just wondered if that ball had Ended up in the back of the net . When should I have blown up for handball ? As soon as it touched the attackers hand or once the goal had been scored ? Outside the area this would never of been handball as his arms were by his side and he couldn’t get out of the way , but with the new rules of goals being scored after the ball coming off an attackers hand I’m not sure ,

The Referee Store
I had something similar in game last week. Ball hit attackers arm and dropped to a teammate who popped a shot off which went for a corner.

The offence isn't committed until the ball goes in the goal. Otherwise you're punishing the attacking team for an outcome which potentially may not occur.

Did a kids game today and the ball struck an attackers hand In the area after the ball bounced off the lads leg who was stood next to him . Played on and nothing came of it , just wondered if that ball had Ended up in the back of the net . When should I have blown up for handball ? As soon as it touched the attackers hand or once the goal had been scored ? Outside the area this would never of been handball as his arms were by his side and he couldn’t get out of the way , but with the new rules of goals being scored after the ball coming off an attackers hand I’m not sure ,
I think any HB by an attacker in the opposition in which the attacking team retain possession, probably warrants an immediate whistle these days. There may be exceptions, but a Goal Scoring Opportunity roughly equates to possession of the ball in the oppo PA

Different areas are teaching different things on this which I think is really bad. There is only one LOTG and that is what everyone should apply.

The offence isn't committed until the ball goes in the goal.
That is not correct.

The law says it's an offence if the team immediately scores in the opponents’ goal OR creates a goal-scoring opportunity.

So blow the whistle if the ball immediately (not 5 seconds later) goes into goal or there is an immediate (not 3 seconds later) goal scoring opportunity.

The word 'immediate' is for what happens in play after the handling which is in a way to tell the referee when not to blow. But if you have to blow the whistle, it doesn't have to be 'immediate' so long as the goal or GSO was immediate

Back