A&H

Handling outside the area ...

Charlie Jones

Work Until You Don't Have To Introduce Yourself
morning chaps ...

myself and @Alex71 had an interesting, comical one yesterday !

ladies football ... ill use different colours as the real ones give away the teams! green v orange ... green lob the ball forward to an attacker, floats over everyone and moves towards, and just outside the PA... Orange keeper then (standing inside the area) leans out and scoops the ball back into the PA ... I waive the flag, Alex blows his whistle (superbly may I add, great whistle blowing! ... can you tell his reffing my game Saturday? :p)

it is then, the keeper and orange team argue that ... ready for this ...

you can lean out of the area and grab the ball as long as you are standing inside the area!

Reactions: SM
The Referee Store
Top flagging too Snr Jones - it being on the side line of the box over your side - I couldn't see it :)

... this from an orange team who said they could take a free-kick anywhere on a parallel line across the pitch

... even more amazing was the GK obeying my request to put the ball down and retreat - allowing the other team to take a quick one!

you can lean out of the area and grab the ball as long as you are standing inside the area!
Got you beat on that.

A couple of years ago a senior referee informed me that was perfectly legal. It's where the feet are, not the hands. I was playing as GK, laying down with half my body outside the area, but hands on the ball inside the area and got called for handling outside the area (note: ball never left the area, it was a good half-yard inside).

I laid down in the goal with my hands on the ball fully in the field of play. Asked if that was a goal because my feet were outside the area.

The look of utter confusion on his face made the moment worthwhile. :)

Confusing the game with rugby?

This is the case in the oval ball game (Union, anyway) - where your feet (or any part of your body) are touching the ground is important, not the position of the ball. Where you see this law utilised most is when the opposition kicks for touch, the defending winger or full back will often leap off the ground beyond the touch line and bat the ball back onto the FOP. If they do this the ball is not out of play, and the game carries on.

Confusing the game with rugby?

This is the case in the oval ball game (Union, anyway) - where your feet (or any part of your body) are touching the ground is important, not the position of the ball. Where you see this law utilised most is when the opposition kicks for touch, the defending winger or full back will often leap off the ground beyond the touch line and bat the ball back onto the FOP.
Or when a player is running down the wing and puts a foot in touch.

Got you beat on that.

A couple of years ago a senior referee informed me that was perfectly legal. It's where the feet are, not the hands. I was playing as GK, laying down with half my body outside the area, but hands on the ball inside the area and got called for handling outside the area (note: ball never left the area, it was a good half-yard inside).

I laid down in the goal with my hands on the ball fully in the field of play. Asked if that was a goal because my feet were outside the area.

The look of utter confusion on his face made the moment worthwhile. :)
HAhaha, brilliant.
I'm not even surprised at any of the misconceptions on this thread.
It's fun in Futsal where keepers like to stand on the edge of the PA and punch the ball away, then can't figure out why you're calling a FK against them....

Back