A&H

Happens to the best refs....

The Referee Store

Have done this myself before, confusing 2 players in my mind, and sending off for a first caution. I'd done the offending side the week before so the player had stuck in my mind.

I too was able to correct my mistake when reviewing my notepad, thankfully.
Easily done. I'm not a fan of protracted pre-match instructions, but I've quickly learned recently, that AR1 (or AR2) needs to keep a full match record to assist the Referee in such circumstances. Besides, an AR can only take over in the middle if they have that full record of sanctions. Surely, in a CL game, it's the AR or 4O that's helped AT on this occasion

Easily done. I'm not a fan of protracted pre-match instructions, but I've quickly learned recently, that AR1 (or AR2) needs to keep a full match record to assist the Referee in such circumstances. Besides, an AR can only take over in the middle if they have that full record of sanctions. Surely, in a CL game, it's the AR or 4O that's helped AT on this occasion
Saw a vid on sky sports and he looks at his notepad. Perhaps he did get some comms but certainly looks as if he realised the mistake himself
When I did it, player reaction told me everything, quick look at the pad, confirmed it.
But yes, one of your NARs need to be taking a FMR to bail you out.
Although if they don't it can easily be handed over or recounted to fill it in.

I did this in a game once but I didn't actually show the red card. I pulled the guy over and said "I'm afraid your match is over," but saw the error when I checked the shirt number.

I was absolutely mortified because both players were black. Shades of the Gibbs and Oxlaid-Chamberlain mixup which caused a lot of "they all look the same to me" comments. I was incredibly apologetic. The player concerned looked mildly amused.

Turns out they were identical twins.

far from the best ref but i booked the wrong player once, noted the player as wearing a number 7 and didnt consider there might be a number 17 as well...new i was wrong as soon as he pleaded his innocence but i had to book someone and i wasnt guessing a second time!

assessor was 10 yards away, doh!

assessor was 10 yards away, doh!
Did he give you a pass? :D

I've never done this personally, but I have been on the line when a referee made this error and he was bailed out by the senior A/R, who corrected him.

So, in all the years I've been active it's happened just the once. :)

Did he give you a pass? :D

I've never done this personally, but I have been on the line when a referee made this error and he was bailed out by the senior A/R, who corrected him.

So, in all the years I've been active it's happened just the once. :)

6.5 in application of law in a game with 6 other yellows and red and 3 pens! he definitely bumped me up in the other top boxes though to end up with a 73 still

Back