A&H

Hartlepool United vs Torquay United playoff final

TravisW12

Thoughts on the refereeing performance? 3 huge decisions, one disallowed penalty, two disallowed goals for Torquay.

Anybody who watched it, thoughts on those decisions?

The Referee Store
I thought Simon Mather did well in what was a very testing game. For the first disallowed goal an attacker pushed a defender at the far post. I don't think it in any way affected Hartlepool's ability to stop the goal, but they showed the referee's view at half time and it looked a clear push from there.

Second one the attacker has jumped early but has then landed with his arm over the keeper's right shoulder. That level of contact on the keeper is always going to draw a free kick at senior levels.

He dealt with the argument between two players really well. There is an argument to say that one of them should have then received a second caution later in the game for slamming the ball into the ground in frustration at a decision, but I think he was right to turn a blind eye given the importance of the game and level of emotions. This isn't a normal game, it is potentially career affecting game for players, so an element of common sense is needed. I'm also pretty sure there is no observer on these games so that probably helps in that decision ..!!

The stoppage time injury was a bit bizarre, took an age and they appeared to be stitching the player's leg on the pitch. I can only assume that the medical team said he shouldn't be moved, there's no way a L2a referee would allow that to happen otherwise.

Back