A&H

Hartlepool v Dover

ladbroke8745

RefChat Addict
I appreciate it's a 12 minute highlight reel but I'd suggest watching it all if you haven't already.

From my perspective, and camera angles are obviously different to ground level views, but I think this referee has had an absolute mare.

The penalty given to Dover is extremely soft at best, one I probably wouldn't have given personally.
Then a succession of penalty appeals, worse tackles than the one he gave to Dover, were looked away.
2 red cards for players and one for the manager for what I can imagine were foul, abusive or offensive language followed from this woeful decision making.

What do you guys think?

The Referee Store
I appreciate it's a 12 minute highlight reel but I'd suggest watching it all if you haven't already.

From my perspective, and camera angles are obviously different to ground level views, but I think this referee has had an absolute mare.

The penalty given to Dover is extremely soft at best, one I probably wouldn't have given personally.
Then a succession of penalty appeals, worse tackles than the one he gave to Dover, were looked away.
2 red cards for players and one for the manager for what I can imagine were foul, abusive or offensive language followed from this woeful decision making.

What do you guys
Well, awesome game.

The early penalty... if the ball was in play... then OK BUT you never see those given in TV. But if the ref thought the def was really out if order it might sway the decision.

The blues were understandably frustrated. On 9:05 it looks like a pen to me. Even with a scape of ball the def brings the man down in the box.

The reds, easy if it’s OFFINABUS. No matter how hard done by, if the ref thinks the language is bad enough.

Penalty first one no.
Second incident nailed on
Third incident I laughed out loud as it seemed to players caught the ball the second was very obvious
fourth incident nailed on again.
At least if I have a mare it is unlikely to make it onto youtube or TV.
Do have sympathy for the ref who was having one of those days

First one is why you don't give a penalty without an appeal. The most they are appealing for there is a corner, in giving a penalty he has shocked everyone. The second one was a definite penalty.

Screenshot 2019-09-23 at 18.56.07.pngYou're giving that as a penalty?! While I don't deny the ball isn't won - it is clearly outside of the box.

Last edited:
First one is why you don't give a penalty without an appeal. The most they are appealing for there is a corner, in giving a penalty he has shocked everyone. The second one was a definite penalty.
Well there are two Dover players clearly appealing for the penalty! That's a nailed on pen for me.

First one for Dover on 1.53 im not giving as a pen, while the player is possible caught he gets his shot away and thats a hard sell as a ref unless its an obvious foul which i dont think this is.

4.10 The handball, probably should have been with the hand ball law we have today, only got small screen on work PC so cant be sure his hands are away from the body but it looks like they are.

9 mins
100% a foul, not 100% certain its inside the box, hopefully getting some help from the liner there

I was advised very early on in my fledgling career to avoid giving PKs in the absence of an appeal
Just thinking about AR2 on 9 minutes. He would've known without doubt that the ref had just slipped on a banana skin in the edge of the cemetery.
AR1 was probably also wincing at the mistake. Yet neither could do anything to help, such is the dynamics of refereeing

4:10 The Handball.

Defensive free kick for me.

The only reason the defender "catches" the ball is because the attacker handles the ball into his path.

This handball by the attacker has lead to what (would be if given) a goal scoring opportunity via penalty therefore the attacking handball is penalised

I'm not as upset with this as some. The penalty he gave is unusual, but the defender's absolutely clattered him and the only way it's wrong is if the ball's already out of play.

I'm not giving the second, that's a fairly standard coming together in the box with nothing too unusual for me.

I think @tomcritoph has nailed the handball shout - that's a clear handball, but it only happens because the attacker's handballed it into him in the first place! I don't think that's the decision the ref made though, as you'd give a defensive FK if that was the case. By playing on, I unfortunately think he's just missed it all.

The only definite mistake is the one at 9:05 - it's definitely a foul, location is a judgement call, but no decision is definitely wrong.

And as others have said, if he's having OFFINABUS directed at him, none of the above excuses any of it and he's done well to go straight to red.

Last edited:
A little context here - that game was stopped for 8 minutes after the 1st goal because of racist abuse directed at the scorer.

Players from both sides appalled by the behaviour and it was reported that Hartlepool players remonstrated with their own fans.

As for the incidents - no stand out 'wow what a decision' for me - all arguable of course but none as blatantly 'wrong' as the Arsenal 'handball' not given (twice!) v Aston Villa for me!

I was advised very early on in my fledgling career to avoid giving PKs in the absence of an appeal
Just thinking about AR2 on 9 minutes. He would've known without doubt that the ref had just slipped on a banana skin in the edge of the cemetery.
AR1 was probably also wincing at the mistake. Yet neither could do anything to help, such is the dynamics of refereeing
At National League they have Comms in operation ... so every opportunity for both ARs to input if they believe it might help the referee.

Fist penalty I initially dismissed as ridiculous. However, on review it's a very ordinary lunging, scissoring challenge which may have made nastier contact than can be seen from the angle we see.

9:05 sure looks like a pen, depending on the location of contact.

Overall though, as others have said, none of the decisions are ridiculous. And it would appear that the players and team official who went offinabus might need to have a good long hard look at themselves.

Notwithstanding any of the above, can't have been an enjoyable game for the referee

Last edited:
I spoke to the referee last night (didn't know it was him at the time, hes the main man at my local club)

Got a good insight into not only the game but refereeing at this level.

He said looking back the free kick - penalty was a foul but thought at the time the defender got the ball.

I wont say what Craig Hignett (Hartlepool manager) called him and said he would do to him.

Not hard to guess/summise that OFFINABUS at this level (and those above) has to be pretty bad to earn a red card, considering what I see/hear at QPR every other week.

Last home game you can clearly see Luton player shout at referee 'F***** soft that referee. F******* soft, never a foul' - action? Nothing

Not hard to guess/summise that OFFINABUS at this level (and those above) has to be pretty bad to earn a red card, considering what I see/hear at QPR every other week.

Last home game you can clearly see Luton player shout at referee 'F***** soft that referee. F******* soft, never a foul' - action? Nothing
Don't. Think I'd take any action at that either if I am honest.
With a wry smile I would probably say, yes it was a soft foul to give away.

Reactions: JH
Back