A&H

Hello!

ChazSizeland

Level 8 Referee
Afternoon all,

My name’s Chaz, from Norwich, and I’m just starting out in the world of the whistle!

I’m 28 and am still registered as a player, well goalkeeper, for a Division One team in the Anglian Combination (Level 11 on the pyramid I think). Basically I’ve missed the whole of this season due to injury and am likely to give up playing altogether in the not too distant future due to constant injuries problems unfortunately. I tore my groin in the first pre-season game taking a goal kick and the bloody thing just won’t heal! It doesn’t affect me running about (in fact I’m training to run the London Marathon in April) but every time I kick a ball it goes again, very frustrating!

Anyway, I received an email from the Norfolk FA last week advertising a deal for the Basic Referees Course being reduced to £65 and thought ‘why not?’. I’ve always fancied refereeing and saw myself doing it once I’d packed in playing anyway so thought I’d take the opportunity and do the course.

I’m a bit worried about the abuse refs get. I’ll be honest, I haven’t exactly given refs an easy time during my playing career, but I’ve got a pretty thick skin (you need one to be a keeper!) so I reckon I’ll be alright!

The Referee Store
Welcome to the site Chaz. Good to have you on board. Any more questions don't hesitate to ask? As for the abuse refs get, I wouldn't worry about it. Remember, you're in charge, don't stand for anything you don't want to

I am still a registered player and I had the most awkward situation on the first evening of the course. It was on a Monday night and the previous Saturday I had the course tutor as my referee! Gave him a bit of stick about an offside decision that he overruled, which he reminded me about in front of the whole group!

Ha ha, bet you thanked him for bringing that one up! I hadn't even thought of one of the refs taking the course, I hope it's not one particular ref who I had a couple of 'run ins' with last season!

Back