A&H

Hertford Town v Barking - FA Vase

The Referee Store
Has the Ref actually carded anyone after 2 minutes of dissent ? very hard to see

I presume all the blue players are gathered round putting the goal post peg back where it should have been :D

I think on this occasion the body language of both sets of players tells the true story

Card for dissent? Here's a yellow card for being absolutely right...
@Jacko right or wrong decision ......that is still dissent !! I'm guessing it was a goal but if the ref gives a corner ...the cards have to come out to diffuse the situation

Guys ........Stop Press .......!!!!! have another look .....I think the Assistant gives the corner on this occasion and the Ref goes with him ?

I don't think anyone on here can be 100% sure from the video, although I think from both sets of players' reactions we know it went in. Surely should have been picked up before the game by the ref or assistants?

NB: Up the Town, the 'magic goal' has got my hometown club one step closer to Wembley!

It looks to be trickling in, then a defender runs in the way and blocks the view and does not a lot and the ball then is out of play. Surely defender has cleared it?

Who knows. Can't see from that video.

Can't tell what happened from the video. Always difficult when it goes through a gap in the corner. Futsal is particularly bad for this - holes in nets (I always brought cable ties), or sometimes it would be belted in, hit a bar at the back of the goal and out so fast you couldn't tell if it ever went in.

Card for dissent? Here's a yellow card for being absolutely right...
I don't understand this comment at all.

First, what does being right have to do with anything?

I remember one case, an attacker pushed a defender as he was scoring a goal. I awarded a free kick, but given the arm signal for the both that and a goal is the same, one player blew up thinking I was awarding the goal. Tried telling him I agree with him, pointing to the spot of the foul, even mimed the foul, he was too dense to pay attention. Was he right? Completely. Did I agree with him? Absolutely! Did he get in the book! You betcha!

Two, obviously the referee would have thought the player was wrong, else this wouldn't have come up in the first place. Bit of an irrelevant comment really....

Last edited:
I know the Hertford CB who was blocking our view and spoke to him this morning. It definitely went in...

I know the Hertford CB who was blocking our view and spoke to him this morning. It definitely went in...

Is that true? I gots the software - s'called 'The Pause Button' - and it right looks to me like the ball is in front of the post...

f1xi1d.jpg

Still, I suppose he knows best. ;)

Maybe them particular boys in black'll get a bit closer to the action next time...

You know, it's such a weird one I still can't make up my mind. Defender who clears it, and those closest to him, don't exactly celebrate his 'clearance'. He starts walking upfield, rather than for a corner. Everything about that indicates goal.

But then, when the occasional yellow player goes over and checks the net, they just walk away, presumably having found nothing untoward.

And then the picture, with what appears to clearly be the ball in front of the post.

I dunno. What I do know is there's 3 minutes of messing around, and still no sign of a restart. Not right impressed with that.

Both team's local newspapers, by the way, reported "a moment of controversy when the ball went through a hole in the net."

Last edited:
Fair point @frank_ref about the match ref, he's not exactly busting a gut to get there. A better and closer end position would have massively helped his case. Actually being on the post if possible rather than stopping way outside the penalty area and sauntering over.

Looked like a goal to me.
That's one of those moment where if a player genuinely runs in front of you and obscures your view, do nothing and let the players tell you by their body-language what happened, in this case, clearly a goal.
Black mark for the AR who checked the goal nets too, as a referee, I would be fuming with him as it has caused match control to go out of the window.

Disagree. the ones in the PA are still standing on the spot, keeper gets up facing the ball, the rest are still moving towards the PA. Looks to me like they're preparing for a corner.

As others have said though, the dissent was handled poorly by the referee.....

Last edited:
I just love the lino creeping towards the goal line trying to make out he was there all along - he must have been 15 yards behind play! :)

We need @Mike to confirm it, eh? But I suspect he's tellin' porkies...

I just can't let this one go...

So I downloaded the clip. Played it frame by frame. And what you see is: the ball changes direction when the defender gets there, just before it hits the line. If you pause it when the ball and the post are in line, you can still see 100% of the ball. And if you then take a still of that, put it into something like photoshop, and zoom in to check out the individual pixels, you very clearly see the ball in front of the post.

So there you have it: no goal. Well done Mr Referee and Linesman. :)

I'm not telling porkies though, that's the thing... I'm afraid I trust the bloke who was about 2 yards away from it with a perfect view. :hmmm:

Back