A&H

Homophobic Language

deusex

RefChat Addict
Just wondering if I'm too lenient on this and wanted to get an idea of what others think.
What action would YOU be taking if a player called an opposition player a "faggot" or "puff"?

The Referee Store
It's pretty low grade language in the scheme of things, but I'd take a zero-tolerance approach and red card. Not that it's happened... possibly those words are a bit "gay".

Red every day of the week, same approach as if an individual referred to another player as a ni**er, pa*i or other derogatory terms.

Normally these types of words would be compounded with other language around it, in my experience you'd hear things like:

You f***ing faggot
You queer tw*t

When you get that it becomes really easy to sell the red!

Walked someone last season for shouting f*cking faggot at an opponent t he has just fouled. Like justylove I view it the same as the use of racist language and it's unacceptable. Outcome is the same: red card and off you go.

A player laughs and calls his teammate a fairy for pulling out of a header....

When players are shouting and using expletives together with homophobic terms then it's obviously a very easy decision.

Walked someone last season for shouting f*cking faggot at an opponent t he has just fouled. Like justylove I view it the same as the use of racist language and it's unacceptable. Outcome is the same: red card and off you go.

I did exactly the same this year, after explaining it to the player at half time he accepted it in good grace and apologised to me and player. He had to go on a education course and was done under the discrimination laws and got a 5 game ban.

Well it seems clear I've been far too lenient on this type of language.
Red card it is next time.

Back