A&H

How long does it take to move up levels?

newref

Hi. Starting from a level 7 referee how long does it take to move up to level 6 and then level 5? Does this depend on how many games we do or just how long our tenure has been as a referee?

The Referee Store
As with most things in English football, it varies slightly from county to county! However, as a general guide, you need to do a minimum of one year as a Level 7 before even applying for promotion. Then you can progress one level per year for the first two years, except in a few places where they will allow 7 to 5 in one year ... if you can manage to do enough games and get enough Observations! Then 5 to 4 is another year and so on.

From my perspective, I both enjoyed and benefited massively from the experience I gained at each level. The 6 years of learning is serving me well this year (my first at L3) though I'm still feeling the pressure and making plenty of mistakes!

Okay, so how many games are we expected to do within that one year to gain promotion from level 7? And do referee games only count or assistant referee games too?

20 adult games is the norm, minimum of 3 assessments and a development evening which includes a LOTG test

20 adult games is the norm, minimum of 3 assessments and a development evening which includes a LOTG test

It used to be 20 matches with an additional 5 as an assistant referee.

Edit: Correction - that's the requirement from 6 - 5.

Oh wow. And how many games have you refereed over the 3 years?
Approaching 50 OA middles, 75 youth games and maybe 15 AR appearances
And what about the referees marks? Are we expected to achieve a certain number of marks over the 20 games?
In Hertfordshire, they just say that you need to be assessed 3 times or more. The pass mark on individual assessments is 70/100
There's no exact criteria for promotion. Guess it depends on how good the other candidates are
Not sure if this is different elsewhere. There's an observers manual in the resources section if you're interested (although this is for higher levels)

In Suffolk 20 games 6 can be U18s. three observations, you need to be doing lines but not observed on them. This is my fourth season and I am now going 7-6 I have done alot of games so hopefully will get it. My first observation went well but my tolerance is too high despite my c2 card tally being my most common card. Work that one out

In Hertfordshire, they just say that you need to be assessed 3 times or more. The pass mark on individual assessments is 70/100
There's no exact criteria for promotion. Guess it depends on how good the other candidates are
Not sure if this is different elsewhere.

Puzzled why Herts are different to everybody else. :confused:

The FA Observers Form (which I presume is a generic nationally used one) for 7-6 candidates assesses referees on only 3 competencies:

Application of Law

Match Control

Positioning and Movement

Under each area you're ticked as "Standard Expected" "Above Standard" "Well Above Standard" "Below Standard" or "Well Below Standard"

I'd be interested to know how/where you got the info that 7-6 candidates are "scored" out of 100 BC?

Even at 6-5 promotion level there's no "scores". Just more competencies.

Puzzled why Herts are different to everybody else. :confused:

The FA Observers Form (which I presume is a generic nationally used one) for 7-6 candidates assesses referees on only 3 competencies:

Application of Law

Match Control

Positioning and Movement

Under each area you're ticked as "Standard Expected" "Above Standard" "Well Above Standard" "Below Standard" or "Well Below Standard"

I'd be interested to know how/where you got the info that 7-6 candidates are "scored" out of 100 BC?

Even at 6-5 promotion level there's no "scores". Just more competencies.
The observations changed at the start of this scheme
We're still assessed on AOL, MC & P&M, but the ratings are Below, Expected or Above
No indication of how the score is reached and what the weightings are

Approaching 50 OA middles, 75 youth games and maybe 15 AR appearances

Not sure if this is different elsewhere. There's an observers manual in the resources section if you're interested (although this is for higher levels)
There is a referee mark sheet which the home team marks. Do we get to see what mark we achieved from a particular game?

The observations changed at the start of this scheme
We're still assessed on AOL, MC & P&M, but the ratings are Below, Expected or Above
No indication of how the score is reached and what the weightings are

They changed a few seasons ago, and the pass mark of 70 is long gone unless you are 5-4. Generally speaking you need to average standard expected across your observations.

Back