A&H

How much do level 5 and level 4 referees get paid per match?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Referee Store
At Level 5 it often varies considerably from county to county and league to league. From my experience anything from £35 to £50 all inclusive would be the norm ... others will have different experience.

At Level 4, the fee for running Contributory League lines is, I believe, a standard £34 plus travel expenses (34p per mile). Middles will again vary from league to league.

In other words, getting to these levels is not a 'get rich quick' scenario!! Especially when you take into account the longer travel times and increased pre and post match timings (at Level 4 and above)

At Level 5 it often varies considerably from county to county and league to league. From my experience anything from £35 to £50 all inclusive would be the norm ... others will have different experience.

At Level 4, the fee for running Contributory League lines is, I believe, a standard £34 plus travel expenses (34p per mile). Middles will again vary from league to league.

In other words, getting to these levels is not a 'get rich quick' scenario!! Especially when you take into account the longer travel times and increased pre and post match timings (at Level 4 and above)
Do (m)any L4's (and above) continue to referee other formats like Sunday League or Youth Football? I know it's common for higher level refs to get floodlit middles during the week (Development Leagues), but curious about these other formats

It say in Tier 4 you will do Supply Leagues as a Referee, and Contributory League as Assistant Referee. What is meant by Supply leagues here?

How much do level 5 and level 4 referees get paid for each match they do?
In my leagues as a L5 to 4 candidate, we get £45 fixed fee for the league's we middle on and £40 for lining on our supply league (no expenses unless we have to go to the IoW.

In other words...

you-get-rinsed.jpg

Do (m)any L4's (and above) continue to referee other formats like Sunday League or Youth Football? I know it's common for higher level refs to get floodlit middles during the week (Development Leagues), but curious about these other formats

From my experience, many Level 4's continue to do some Sunday Open Age or Youth football. As much as anything this is to stay 'match sharp' as many of these referees will only be getting one (or two) middles a month from their main Saturday leagues. Far less common at Level 3 and above as Saturday middles are more frequent and even more physically / mentally demanding
It say in Tier 4 you will do Supply Leagues as a Referee, and Contributory League as Assistant Referee. What is meant by Supply leagues here?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_League_System

Most (but not all) Supply Leagues are at Step 5 of the non league system, whilst the Contributory Leagues are the Southern, Northern and Isthmian Leagues (ie those at Step 3 and Step 4)

From my experience, many Level 4's continue to do some Sunday Open Age or Youth football. As much as anything this is to stay 'match sharp' as many of these referees will only be getting one (or two) middles a month from their main Saturday leagues. Far less common at Level 3 and above as Saturday middles are more frequent and even more physically / mentally demanding

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_League_System

Most (but not all) Supply Leagues are at Step 5 of the non league system, whilst the Contributory Leagues are the Southern, Northern and Isthmian Leagues (ie those at Step 3 and Step 4)
Hold your southern bias right there. Most Supply Leagues near me are Step 7 or below. One of the most prominent local Contrib Leagues is a Step 5. Considering the steps are decided by the facilities at the ground and not the standard of football being played, it has little relevance to the match officials anyway.

Hold your southern bias right there. Most Supply Leagues near me are Step 7 or below. One of the most prominent local Contrib Leagues is a Step 5. Considering the steps are decided by the facilities at the ground and not the standard of football being played, it has little relevance to the match officials anyway.
Apologies for any ignorance borne out of geography. Was simply trying to help the OP as best I could. I was clear in my reply that not all Supply Leagues were at Step 5 ... and I genuinely wasn't aware that Contrib occured below Step 4. Live and learn :)

Apparently you won't be making bank unless you're on the fast track to the Premier League it seems. :p

Apparently you won't be making bank unless you're on the fast track to the Premier League ( or other top leagues) it seems. :p
Then why oh why do they feed referees the ‘pathway’ spiel and you all (mainly) suck it in and think theirs a chance in a million that you are the chosen ones. New shirt, better whistle, all the talk. 99.9999999% they are mugging referees off at every level just to keep you compliant and on a financial leash.

In a game worth billions, refs are treat like dogs financially, you’re not even paid the minimum wage and you accept it willingly?
I’m happy that I was never in it for the money or promotion malarkey. Learn young and learn quickly peeps.... if it’s a hobby, fine, if it’s a career path, good blooming luck. Prepare to be well and truly used and abused!
Anyway, whose making money this weekend? 🥴

Then why oh why do they feed referees the ‘pathway’ spiel and you all (mainly) suck it in and think theirs a chance in a million that you are the chosen ones. New shirt, better whistle, all the talk. 99.9999999% they are mugging referees off at every level just to keep you compliant and on a financial leash.
Think that's very harsh. There obviously IS a pathway and the professional referees of today all started at grassroots level. The FA are extremely clear that it's a demanding, challenging road and only a small minority will progress all the way. However, if you do the maths, then approximately 1 in every 500 referees in England will make it to the very top. If you consider that only a certain proportion will ever apply for promotion then it's probably 1 in every 100 promotion candidates who will likely go all the way. Still a long shot ... but far from a chance in a million! Overall, I think most referees who opt for significant promotion do it mainly for the added enjoyment of officiating a better standard of football in nicer settings .. the prospect of 'fame and fortune' is just an added incentive!

Think that's very harsh. There obviously IS a pathway and the professional referees of today all started at grassroots level. The FA are extremely clear that it's a demanding, challenging road and only a small minority will progress all the way. However, if you do the maths, then approximately 1 in every 500 referees in England will make it to the very top. If you consider that only a certain proportion will ever apply for promotion then it's probably 1 in every 100 promotion candidates who will likely go all the way. Still a long shot ... but far from a chance in a million! Overall, I think most referees who opt for significant promotion do it mainly for the added enjoyment of officiating a better standard of football in nicer settings .. the prospect of 'fame and fortune' is just an added incentive!
How can you justify 8-10 hours ‘work’ (as other L4s have said) including travelling and duties for £30-£50. That’s illegal in most other careers! They are taking the proverbial £&@? and you either haven’t realised it or you’re in denial. Please enlighten me and others mate

How can you justify 8-10 hours ‘work’ (as other L4s have said) including travelling and duties for £30-£50. That’s illegal in most other careers! They are taking the proverbial £&@? and you either haven’t realised it or you’re in denial. Please enlighten me and others mate
I agree, it would be lovely if the fees were higher. However, it's already a significant outlay for the clubs involved. It's justified because of supply / demand ... at the end of the day it's the choice of every referee whether they are happy with the tradeoff. From my perspective it's not 'work' but a hugely enjoyable hobby. Most hobbies cost money, this one the reverse. I'm well aware I could earn more per hour refereeing at grassroots but the greater enjoyment I get more than offsets this

As a level 5 on my local league I can expect to get £25 per middle - that's all in - no travel costs. County League (Premier Division only) will give me £30 per match plus 30p per mile travel. Just as well I'm not in it for the money eh? Lol. Those of you at my level getting £40+ per game should count your blessings .... ;)

Apologies for any ignorance borne out of geography. Was simply trying to help the OP as best I could. I was clear in my reply that not all Supply Leagues were at Step 5 ... and I genuinely wasn't aware that Contrib occured below Step 4. Live and learn :)

Don't worry about Brian mate. He's just sore cos in his day "oop North" they used to get 2 shilling and sixpence and even then they had to beat both AR's in an arm wrestle in order to claim it for their own. ;) :D

Level 3 and above as Saturday middles are more frequent and even more physically / mentally demanding
Ah...bless!!
As a level 5 on my local league I can expect to get £25 per middle - that's all in - no travel costs. County League (Premier Division only) will give me £30 per match plus 30p per mile travel. Just as well I'm not in it for the money eh? Lol. Those of you at my level getting £40+ per game should count your blessings .... ;)
Those of us getting 40 sheets a game are also paying £4 for a coffee and over £5 a pint in places
Given the disgraceful inequality of wealth in football, it amazes me that clubs can afford to pay match officials at all

Those of us getting 40 sheets a game are also paying £4 for a coffee and over £5 a pint in places

1. Take a flask.
2. Consider drinking less in those places.
3. Forty sheets?!!! - Don't know how you sleep at night ... :D :p

;)

It's justified because of supply / demand ...

Hmm... They need to raise the fees then.

I heard that an entire league up in north Wales had their matches postponed due to only 3 referees being available last week.

More locally, the local county league here has again refused to raise the mileage fees from 30p to 35p without a reason given. We do have enough referees for the local leagues though - only reserves and youth go without, but even so...

Then why oh why do they feed referees the ‘pathway’ spiel and you all (mainly) suck it in and think theirs a chance in a million that you are the chosen ones.

Actually, my RDO was fairly frank with me and said I have little to no hope getting to Tier 1 in Wales as I'm now on the older side. The amount of promotions I'd need to ace on the bounce (4-5 without fail), plus the increases in fitness tests makes it highly unlikely. He does, however, think I can more reasonably aim for a good time at Tier 2, which might get me the odd Tier 1 game, who knows.

I referee for enjoyment though (yeah, I'm one of those masochists...) and I just want to see how far I can go. I really enjoy refereeing as a team of three as well, so getting up the ladder will afford me that opportunity. Grassroots can be lonely I think. Plus... If I get up the ladder I might actually get decent changing rooms and hot water! :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back