A&H

How Was Soldado *NOT* Offside?

Silhouette

Target of Abuse
Level 7 Referee
I felt like I was taking crazy pills...

First Dirty Fellani's push on Gibbs resulting in a goal...

Then the ManUtd throw in where the camera panned just at the exact time he let go... where his back leg was parallel to the ground - it was *SO* high off the ground!?

Then Spurs getting a goal from Soldado standing right in the way of the kick... 6 yards off side?

Honestly, terrible week for televised refereeing this was :(

The Referee Store
Soldado will not be flagged offside as he did not commit an offence. Yes he was in an offside position but he did not prevent an opponent from playing it being able to play the ball.

Soldado will not be flagged offside as he did not commit an offence. Yes he was in an offside position but he did not prevent an opponent from playing it being able to play the ball.

I haven't seen it but from the way I've had it described to me he was obstructing line of vision, which technically is preventing the ball being played/saved whatever.

It just has to be.

He's preventing the keeper from seeing the ball, so he's only going to see it last minute - and therefore have less reaction time.

It was so obvious to me - and the commentators (I think it was Neville and John Hartson or some other terrible duo) but they showed a freeze frame of the keeper peering around him to see the ball, then returning to his position BEHIND Soldado... and they thought that was okay!?

Its madness.

1:17 to 1:57 on this clip

imho, not obstructing the keeper's view - see angle at 1:44

much depends on the angle of the camera (motd) and, of course, the view of the referee (the only one that really matters) as to whether you think he is obstructing the view of the keeper. The referee positions himself to the left of the kicker, so that any obstruction by Soldado would appear even less obvious, (perhaps there is a case for saying that the ref should have stood behind the ball for a second to check Soldado's position relative to the keeper)

keeper appears to point at Soldado before the kick is taken but absolutely no protest from him after the goal is scored

Last edited:
From the above clip at 1:44 onwards I think the goalkeeper is leaning ready to dive for the ball, not leaning to see around Soldado

Offside by a mile McGregor couldn't see past him. Players p*ss me off when they do this. I know that he isn't preventing an opponent from playing the ball but why is he standing there in the first place? @haywain @ASM

Because he can, simple as that. Please don't forget the first line of Law 11.

Soldado does not prevent the goalkeeper from attempting to play the ball. The wall is just as much an impediment to him seeing the ball as Soldado so there simply isn't a case for an offside offence being committed.

Because he can, simple as that. Please don't forget the first line of Law 11.

Soldado does not prevent the goalkeeper from attempting to play the ball. The wall is just as much an impediment to him seeing the ball as Soldado so there simply isn't a case for an offside offence being committed.

:rolleyes: I think that the clue was in 'HullRef', ASM :)

But he's gaining a clear advantage from standing in that position, also he is stood I front of the goal keeper which is quite clear. But it annoys me even when players do this but stand to the side of the goal

He hasn't gained an advantage as defined by the laws of the game - he doesn't touch the ball!

At that level he is simply not committing an offside offence.

It isn't "gaining an advantage"

It might be "interfering with an opponent" - take a look at the attached pic from LOTG

I think the discussion is around how close was Soldado to the GK and could the GK see around him ... if you look at the video and then look where the players are in the attached - they look pretty close :)

Attachments

• LOTG p111.PNG
    LOTG p111.PNG
    22.6 KB · Views: 10
It might be "interfering with an opponent" - take a look at the attached pic from LOTG

No might about it.

That image is the exact definition of why he was offside. They might as well relabel the (A) to (Soldado) for the definition of the rule.

I think to be able to give it, the ref (assuming they are on their own) would need to be looking at:
  • the ball being kicked (for timing)
  • the wall (where foul most likely to be committed)
  • Soldado (off-side position or not)
  • The GK to see if his body language tells you he is interfered with
  • Plus everything else
... simultaneously !!

As a spurs fan it's hard to be neutral. I would say soldado is about ten yards from the keeper, which is a fair old distance to say the keepers view is being obstructed.

I would have thought people would have been more annoyed by the red card. Which I think was a red personally and I'm not overly embarrassed by Jan's reaction to it as merely fell over and wasn't making out he'd been assaulted. Top marks to Kevin Kilbane on MOTD 2 for helping out the younger generations of players by saying he was taught if someone hits you then you hit them back. That would have been much better to see, rather than falling over he should he just chinned him. Idiot.

I think the keeper didnt do himself any favours by diving for it.

If he had simply shrugged, pointed at Soldado and the rest of his team back him up - it would have been offside for sure. No doubt in my mind.

Back