A&H

Huddersfield (Non pen)

PinnerPaul

RefChat Addict
Surprising that no one has mentioned this.

Lee Mason (afater a short delay) gives what looked to me like a stonewall pen. THEN goes over to talk to AR and then changes his mind.

On MOTD I didn't see the restart, which might have given a clue to his reasoning.

Anyone else see this (to me) strange change of mind?

The Referee Store
I saw it. Was indeed strange. IMO, to 'sell' it better, if he'd have given a Defensive FK then that might have been more understandable. Or, even better, stick with his original decision

From Sky:

"77: Remarkable scenes. Mason initially points to the spot after Joe Ralls appeared to bring down Hadergjonaj just inside the area. But after speaking with his assistant, the official has overturned the decision and awarded Cardiff the free-kick."

From Sky:

"77: Remarkable scenes. Mason initially points to the spot after Joe Ralls appeared to bring down Hadergjonaj just inside the area. But after speaking with his assistant, the official has overturned the decision and awarded Cardiff the free-kick."

That (sort of) ties in with what Wagner said the AR said to him, something about 'two decisions'.

AR presumably saw a foul by Huddersfield player before Cardiff player then fouled him.

Although Warnock never mentioned the foul against his side, just said (as you would expect!) that there 'wasn't enough contact for a penalty'

His remark about 'glad we had an experienced 'linesman'' - was just petty and ridiculous though.

Well that makes it an 'overrule' by the AR - even more strange!
I actually sort of agreed that there wasn't a foul (saw it a couple times and still couldn't make my mind up 100%), but couldn't understand why the 'conversation' between the ref and AR lasted no longer than 2 seconds... surely in order for the ref to change his mind about a penalty, it'd take more than that

I actually sort of agreed that there wasn't a foul (saw it a couple times and still couldn't make my mind up 100%), but couldn't understand why the 'conversation' between the ref and AR lasted no longer than 2 seconds... surely in order for the ref to change his mind about a penalty, it'd take more than that

Yeah I agree - which is why I thought it must be 'a point of law' plus that's usually only reason for an AR to get involved at any level, let alone in the PL?

One of the main reasons to go and have a talk to your AR when you have comms is to give yourself more thinking time. It also makes any change of decision (even if you have changed you mind yourself) more credible. I highly suspect this is the case here. He suspected he made a mistake, got himself more thinking time, changed his mind but got his AR to reinforce the new decision and not lose face for a boo boo so to speak.

Just shows that tight decisions at the bottom and top can cost jobs and careers. Football fans and owners are very fickle these days!

Back