A&H

I saw this today

The Referee Store
HAHA. We have the same guy here! Are you sure he does not fly across the planet and referee here as well? What a disgrace and he should retire at this point. My cards are robot-operated. They automatically appear in my hand with a push of a button!

I was reffing under 16s today and there was an altercation on the pitch next door.

My game was half time so i had time to take this all in. The game was under 15's and i saw a player kick an opponent on the floor 3 times and i think the ref did too. To my amazement the ref showed him a yellow. The manager of the non-offending team looked a bit surprised too - as well as the players.

I got chatting to the ref in the changing rooms after and he said he'd been reffing for 10 years and had only ever shown 5 yellow cards. The ref was late 40s / early 50's i'd guess.

I asked about the kicking and he said he thought a yellow "would send out a message". I asked why not a red for VC and he said he felt that was too harsh.

I'm no assessor but there is something seriously wrong here.

Do refs who are level 7 ever get looked at if they are not going for promotion?

Out of interest i once discovered a referee who had been reffing for 11 years and had NEVER put any cards in the whole time!

Being my first season back, the comment on older refs!
I"m 53yrs old and refereed a lot of games through the years, I simply tell the captains before kick off
to control their players for me if they get out of control with tackles and abuse that's when I get involved.
This for me controls the game better because if a y/c or r/c is going to be issued the captains have had their
chance, the players in my opinion give you more respect knowing your getting communication on the f.o.p.
I am level 7 this season and don't feel the need to go level 5 in the future. I'm on 10 y/c 2r/c so far this season
so not bad for an older ref...

Most managers at junior football believe yellow and red cards should be kept at home and only brought out when they reach 18.

I do you think you need to be a lot more flexible in your approach when reffing U11s compared to open age.

I had two lads U13s yesterday have a few handbags with each other pushing and shoving, possibly could have been a yellow each but took them to one side and a stern word with the threat of cards and were as good as gold, obviously you run the risk if it kicks off that managers will say you have lost control of the game.

Back