A&H

Iber Cup Lisbon 2017

The Referee Store
I'd love to get involved in an overseas tournament...is it a case of being recommended / chose or can you go independently?

I'd love to get involved in an overseas tournament...is it a case of being recommended / chose or can you go independently?
@es1
I believe WRCFA will be undertaking their selection process shortly for the Lisbon competition. It is unlikely that many independents will be accepted for this particular tournament as a record number of County FAs have expressed their interest in sending representatives under their officials banners. As they offer accountability and a degree of extra control over their attendees, they tend to get first shout.

Other tournaments are available, for example, the Paris tournament is taking place at the same time as Lisbon. Also there are tournaments in Norway, Wales (yes that is an international tournament) and other countries. They will accept independents however it is better to travel as an official group sent from a County FA or a Referees Association. I don't know where my RA is sending a team this year. We have attended Paris, Madrid, Lisbon and Gothenburg in previous seasons. This would be our 5th season of travelling abroad. It's also a little late to get involved for this summer as Tournaments Abroad, who coordinate the international referees for many of these tournaments, have already filled their allocations for most of their tournaments. No harm in checking their website.

Good luck for your Vase game tomorrow. Look after Mr B

@es1
I believe WRCFA will be undertaking their selection process shortly for the Lisbon competition. It is unlikely that many independents will be accepted for this particular tournament as a record number of County FAs have expressed their interest in sending representatives under their officials banners. As they offer accountability and a degree of extra control over their attendees, they tend to get first shout.

Other tournaments are available, for example, the Paris tournament is taking place at the same time as Lisbon. Also there are tournaments in Norway, Wales (yes that is an international tournament) and other countries. They will accept independents however it is better to travel as an official group sent from a County FA or a Referees Association. I don't know where my RA is sending a team this year. We have attended Paris, Madrid, Lisbon and Gothenburg in previous seasons. This would be our 5th season of travelling abroad. It's also a little late to get involved for this summer as Tournaments Abroad, who coordinate the international referees for many of these tournaments, have already filled their allocations for most of their tournaments. No harm in checking their website.

Good luck for your Vase game tomorrow. Look after Mr B

Thank you sir, I can't wait! Easily the biggest and best game I've been involved in.

I might mention my interest to Mr B tomorrow then. I've probably (hopefully) only got one summer left before I'll not be allowed to go galavantimg off on my own!

Cheers

Thank you sir, I can't wait! Easily the biggest and best game I've been involved in.

I might mention my interest to Mr B tomorrow then. I've probably (hopefully) only got one summer left before I'll not be allowed to go galavantimg off on my own!

Cheers
My wife uses my excursions as leverage to be able to attend horse events throughout the year

No, Lisbon in July

Ibercup estoril. I am going to cascais in April

I think they still have room for more in Cascais in April. And I was in Iber Scandinavia last year. Also a good tournament and you may have a better chance of going as an independent

Its very sad that the CFA's are muscling out the independent referees.

Clearly they will only be sending those on their CORE schemes, which invariably means lots of young referees once again receiving preferential treatment.

Almost like the FA don't want the more mature colleagues to be seen outside of Sunday league football.....where they are tolerated because the game couldn't function without them.

Its very sad that the CFA's are muscling out the independent referees.

Clearly they will only be sending those on their CORE schemes, which invariably means lots of young referees once again receiving preferential treatment.

Almost like the FA don't want the more mature colleagues to be seen outside of Sunday league football.....where they are tolerated because the game couldn't function without them.
Sorry for taking a little longer than usual to get back in this one.

Last year's trip, from our group of three, one aged 46, one aged 32, one aged 24 and one aged 18. Hardly from the "young" end of the Bell curve.

Madrid, three years ago, one aged 51, one aged 50 and another aged 21. Against not exactly from the "young" in crowd

Sorry for taking a little longer than usual to get back in this one.

Last year's trip, from our group of three, one aged 46, one aged 32, one aged 24 and one aged 18. Hardly from the "young" end of the Bell curve.

Madrid, three years ago, one aged 51, one aged 50 and another aged 21. Against not exactly from the "young" in crowd

I make that 4?

And it depends on your perspective of "young"! Under 25 would be where I would draw my line......

Will be interesting to see an overall breakdown of age's from this years cup, the one's where the CFA's are sending their hand picked candidates. Or even better a breakdown of ages by CFA.

I make that 4?

And it depends on your perspective of "young"! Under 25 would be where I would draw my line......

Will be interesting to see an overall breakdown of age's from this years cup, the one's where the CFA's are sending their hand picked candidates. Or even better a breakdown of ages by CFA.
Good idea. I can only provide you with data from my little patch

I make that 4?

Hi Padfoot sorry for the late reply I would just like to share my experience of refereeing abroad I have refereed abroad the last 3 summers and I can tell you I am not top of the referees agenda. what you might classify as an independent referee. However I have been made to feel very welcome at the ibercups or komm mitt tournaments I have attended. The experience has been thoroughly enjoyable. I even got to two cup finals at the last two ibercups I went to which must mean I have done something right (albeit it was only U9B U10B).

all you need to do to officiate at these tournaments is get international clearance. my advice also to the original poster is that at these tournaments abroad there are always last minute placements that become available. I hope this helps and that you get to referee abroad as it broadens the mind and I learned a lot although I am 34 and probably not one of the fashionable referees

Back