A&H

In the absence of any football ...

The Referee Store
Badly: near AR getting in the middle of it (and basically got hit as soon as they tried).

Stay out of it, make a triangle with referee at the other corner, observe in case of SFP or VC, for other offences if possible. Let the benches and players separate them.

Good: far AR came to support, referee stays close but not surrounded.

Good: once it's broken up, establish distance to discuss events and disciplinary action, make players go away, keep them under watch and keep a clear line between each other for support.

What was the outcome ?

Was there a red for the original challenge ?

As Nij says above the near assistant got involved a bit too much, he was almost man handling some of the players.

I wonder how our new refs with the world in front of them, 20 easy games, good assessments, promotions pending would cope with one of these!

They wouldn't, because at best, they might get to be an assistant on this kind of game!
They might though, a young buck may go straight to OA and be dumped in Div 4 of the Dog & Duck League, who knows. That tackle can happen at any level but especially Sunday League. No assistants generally there, you’re right in the mire! (Speaking from long experiences here). I’ve had similar and far far worse!!!! I’m talking thinking someone was deceased! This is tough for any of us!

Refs constant whistle blowing smacks of desperation.

Advice I got from my 5-4 seminar was blow the whistle once or twice, but if it's not having an impact by that point, then you are pretty much wasting your time.

Hard to see any VC from B&W no.2
Could see him getting off on appeal unless the offence was OFFINABUS

Good to see them playing football on traditional pitch conditions for a change 👍

Hard to see any VC from B&W no.2
Could see him getting off on appeal unless the offence was OFFINABUS

Good to see them playing football on traditional pitch conditions for a change 👍
hard to see in the initial melee, potentially for grabbing a match official, however then the camera cuts to the left and he's out of the picture for a bit.

His reaction after he's been binned and is walking off the pitch tells you he's very likely a loose cannon.

I've never had to deal with a mass confrontation before but I've always thought it would be a good idea to send one team into the penalty area and the other team into the centre circle while issuing cards, just to keep the teams separated and contained, and to deter players from crowding you. Stand between the centre circle and penalty area with your assistants and call a player towards you one at a time if you wish to caution or send off. Book any player who leaves the penalty area or centre circle without permission (dissent).

I've seen the practice of separating teams in other sports but never in football; what are your thoughts?

Being a 'big lad' I have been in a few of these, (not something I'm saying is a good idea or a good example of what to do). If its one on one I've done my best to block, hold back, blow the whistle multiple times etc, its very hard when its only you, If its a few more players than that then you need to be far more careful. Usually players come in to help stop it, sometimes they want retribution too. I've even stopped a punch landing at U15.

Luckily my reputation went before me and they knew what was coming if anything happened. My card count was high in Sunday League because I always got the tough estate type game where this is far more common. I don't think Howard Webb could have stopped or handled better some of the things I faced! He was off reffing the pretty boys at the posh grounds!!

Refs constant whistle blowing smacks of desperation.

Advice I got from my 5-4 seminar was blow the whistle once or twice, but if it's not having an impact by that point, then you are pretty much wasting your time.

Yep, I would agree. Although I would keep a sonic blast in my pocket as blowing that close to the melee sometimes did the trick as everyone put their hands to their ears :)

They wouldn't, because at best, they might get to be an assistant on this kind of game!

They wouldn't even get to be an assistant, that's a L3 with two L4 assistants.

What no one has seen yet is on 50 seconds, if you look at the top of the screen there appears to have been something happen between a B&W player and the blue keeper as he is doubled over and AR2 is keeping them apart after. Can only assume he didn't see it given there was no sanction.

Aside from the incessant whistling, I think the referee dealt with it well overall. One thing I'm not clear on is the removal of the blue person from the technical area, he looks like a player coach or player manager to me given he is wearing team shorts and socks, so he should have been shown the red card even back then, assuming he was remove for VC that is.

AR2 was way, way too involved. Even when the red cards are being given out he is trying to be involved, I would be seriously annoyed with him if I was the referee, and even more so as the observer.

Back