A&H

in the back

RLB

I had my first game yesterday and one thing i noticed was the amount of players from both teams complaining "in the back ref", i let most of the shouts go as i feel it was 50/50 but it seemed to annoy the players i wasn't giving any. any advice? are there any videos that can show a foul/no foul in this incident?

Cheers, Ryan

The Referee Store
Watch the elbows of the player behind. If the player from behind maintains bent elbows throughout the challenge, there isn't any pushing from his side - the player in front may simply be 'backing in' to the player behind him. However, if the arms extend and the elbows lock, then there has been a case of pushing.

I don't agree with that at all. While the straightening of the arm can certainly indicate a push, it's wrong to say that if the arms stay bent then he isn't pushing.

Try to get side-on to these challenges so you can at least see what's happening. Players will appeal for this everytime they're touched. Arms in the back are fairly easy - and preventing the opponent moving backwards can count too. Any particular type of challenge you're worried about?

I had a game yesterday where shouts of 'hands on the back ref' 'push ref' literally from every throw/corner. Yes there were a lot of hands on the back but most of these were not fouls. A clear push, give a free kick. Just be consistent.

Things to consider:

1. Be side on so you can accurately judge what's happening.
2. Distinguish between someone pushing and someone backing in. Most of the time you hear these shouts it's a combination of both... therefore ignore.
3. Where is the ball? A certain amount of making space is permitted when actually challenging for the ball, but most of these when they ARE given is a cheeky shove straight in the back with the ball sky-high, hoping to get away with it.
4. Remember that 'Push, ref!' in these situations is in the same category as 'Foul throw, ref!'. Most of the time it's just noise and the players are trying it on.

Last edited:
I had my first game yesterday and one thing i noticed was the amount of players from both teams complaining "in the back ref", i let most of the shouts go as i feel it was 50/50 but it seemed to annoy the players i wasn't giving any. any advice? are there any videos that can show a foul/no foul in this incident?

Cheers, Ryan
It comes with experience IMO. Getting side on is good advice and the more you see, the more you understand.
My experience says most of these challenges occur from goal kicks, corners, throw ins, clearances by a GK or a set piece. Think about where the ball is going and get yourself into the drop zone for a good angle and view.
Put those together and the decision making will come good in time.

Before I got a decent coach / assessor who educated me properly I'd here this 'in the back ref' every game.

I was fit as a fiddle and covering the pitch tremendously (still do mind :p) but my positioning was awful and I was making up for it by running like a blue arsed fly.

Now I focus on my positioning and I can't remember the last time I hear the 'in the back ref'.

So what you need to do is follow @Mewcenary 's advice!

Back