A&H

Incident behind ref's back

Dino Ref

#1 - Two players were arguing and generally being a nuisance from the first whistle, both center mid's. 10-15 mins in I pull them both in and said "If I hear anymore arguing between you's I'll just book you's". It was then quiet for about 10 mins before I hear a loud thump and one of them on the floor as I turn around. The incident was quite literally 180 degrees behind me but since I didn't actually see anything I couldn't give anything. I explained this to the player who was on the floor and he actually seemed to understand which was nice. No-one else appealed or anything so I don't know if the guy just tripped but I'm 99% sure the other player did something. After this it was quiet for the rest of the game.

Is there anything I could have done in this situation providing that the AR's were not assigned and no player appealed other than the one on the floor?

The Referee Store
#1 - Two players were arguing and generally being a nuisance from the first whistle, both center mid's. 10-15 mins in I pull them both in and said "If I hear anymore arguing between you's I'll just book you's". It was then quiet for about 10 mins before I hear a loud thump and one of them on the floor as I turn around. The incident was quite literally 180 degrees behind me but since I didn't actually see anything I couldn't give anything. I explained this to the player who was on the floor and he actually seemed to understand which was nice. No-one else appealed or anything so I don't know if the guy just tripped but I'm 99% sure the other player did something. After this it was quiet for the rest of the game.

Is there anything I could have done in this situation providing that the AR's were not assigned and no player appealed other than the one on the floor?
If you don't see it, you can't give it. I had pretty much the same the other week, goal scored, back turned, "he's just hit him ref!". I'm convinced the player did actually hit him, due to the temperature of the game and antics of the particular player - but I didn't see it, so I couldn't send him.

Only thing you can do is hold your hands up and explain.

It’s a really tough situation with no NARs. It’s even worse if you turn around to see retaliation. There’s no easy way out. You have already given the answer: you can only sanction what you can see.

When on your own in difficult games your movement can help. Get wide, keep as many players in view, get close to problem players on the run... at set pieces - and some assessors are (rightly) nuts about this - always walk the outside of the walll to keep the players in view... and always watch the players not the ball when the ball is in the air.
B

You didn't see it so can't call it.

I know someone that strongly suspect a player and asked "what did you do that for". The player actually incriminated himself in his response so the ref promptly red carded him.

Back