A&H

Insane Incidents

If the hands are used, law 12 specifically covers it. Your email clarifyes if it also covers goal keepers.

The question is if it is DOGSO when crossbar is used for lift and a goal is denied using a body part other than the hands/arms.
Well for me, the underlying principle here hinges on whether the action of hanging from the bar and preventing a ball from entering the net while doing so, would "be considered an offence of unsporting behaviour leading to an indirect free kick for which the [player committing the offence] should be dismissed" (for denying a goal) or not.

The reply was that stopping the ball entering the net while hanging from the crossbar would be considered as an act of unsporting behaviour punishable by an IFK (and a sending off offence because it denied a goal). As far as I'm concerned, that principle would apply whether the USB involved a keeper using the hand or an outfield player using a different body part.

The Referee Store
I once had an U16 cup tie 1-0, 1-1, 2-1, 2-2 up to 3-3 with the same team always behind and they scored the 3rd right near the end of normal time.

ET - 4-3, 4-4, 5-4 and yep same team always behind, I'm looking at my watch thinking, 'Last attack' - they get a free kick, just outside area and bang, a 'worldy' makes it 5-5 and yes the same team won penalty shoot out 5-4. Losing coach comes over after the game, I'm thinking 'Oh here we go, something's going to be my fault' - " Ah well, that's football" he said!

Last edited:
Two for me

1. I have mentioned this before, but game stopped for parachutist landing on the pitch and getting tangled up in a goal net.

2. For football related, a pitch invasion by sheep - escaped from nearby field then cam onto pitch and stopped.
i hope you remembered the red card for entering the field without permission

If the hands are used, law 12 specifically covers it. Your email clarifyes if it also covers goal keepers.

The question is if it is DOGSO when crossbar is used for lift and a goal is denied using a body part other than the hands/arms.

Bit off a bump here but what if it were a defender that pulled himself up using the crossbar to head the ball away?

Bit off a bump here but what if it were a defender that pulled himself up using the crossbar to head the ball away?
I think this is what @Peter Grove tried to cover in post #21.

That would be covered here:
"denying a goal or an obvious goal-scoring opportunity to an opponent whose overall movement is towards the offender’s goal by an offence punishable by a free kick (unless as outlined below)"

The act is a USB offence which you give a free kick for. It denies a goal, so it is DOGSO. The next question is if it was an attempt to ay the ball (yellow or red). The intent of the law is clear here, it is not a legal attempt so it's a GOGSO-red which trumps the USB yellow for offences at the same time.

I think this is what @Peter Grove tried to cover in post #21.
It was - and my post # 18 actually covers it more completely, including the fact that I had sent an inquiry to the IFAB about a directly analogous scenario involving a goalkeeper.

As mentioned, their reply was basically that hanging from the crossbar and then preventing a goal would be act of unsporting behaviour and a DOGSO offence punishable by a red card.

Although technically I think it's a DOG (denying a goal) offence rather than DOGSO.

Last edited:
Reactions: one
It was - and my post # 18 actually covers it more completely, including the fact that I had sent an inquiry to the IFAB about a directly analogous scenario involving a goalkeeper.
I did read that but then I wasn't sure what would happen if it was a defender. I'm still not clear. From what I'm reading it's DOGSO and a red?

I did read that but then I wasn't sure what would happen if it was a defender. I'm still not clear. From what I'm reading it's DOGSO and a red?
Well, the IFAB essentially said that if a player hangs from the crossbar and while doing so prevents a goal, it's a dismissable DOG(SO) offence so I think it's fairly clear that it would apply to a defender.

Back