A&H

Interesting day

TomtheRef 1

Level 4 Referee
Had initially booked off this weekend And closed dates but inevitably ended up with u16 county cup appointments one after the other. 2nd game 35 in and 1 booking for a foul, caught him high no complaints. Right in half time defending two gets caught by the attacker just as I blow for half time. Gets up and I explain I have blow for half time anyway and will have a word with the forward (nothing serious just a coming together). Defender then looks at me telling me to f*** off. I send of the player in question with managers questioning why the need. I feel I made the right call and 2nd half there was no dissent at all!

I’m thinking of going for promotion this year but must admit that the last few games a bit of doubt has crept in after my games on if I’m good enough etc. Any advice?

The Referee Store
OFFINABUS has to do with context, e.g. tone, manner, temperature of the game etc. If you felt what he said was insulting or offensive then you did the right thing.

As for promotion, a couple of bad games or even a couple of bad decisions can put doubts about ability in everyone's mind. Even the best of us. Those of us with more experience deal with better because we have gone through it before and know its only temporary. Talk to a mentor or a senior referee colleague about it. I agree with @RustyRef on another thread, you can only gain going for promotion. Nothing to lose.

I support your decision and I am no slouch.. Sometimes we doubt the severity of the offense, I know I have personally on many occasions but what we feel when we get home and have had the time to sort the match is what counts. I recently had a full on bench clearing melee ont he filed and on the sidelines, but when I went to sleep that night, I was OK with how I handled it. We can only do the the best job that we can do on any given day and that is what I strive for.

Had initially booked off this weekend And closed dates but inevitably ended up with u16 county cup appointments one after the other. 2nd game 35 in and 1 booking for a foul, caught him high no complaints. Right in half time defending two gets caught by the attacker just as I blow for half time. Gets up and I explain I have blow for half time anyway and will have a word with the forward (nothing serious just a coming together). Defender then looks at me telling me to f*** off. I send of the player in question with managers questioning why the need. I feel I made the right call and 2nd half there was no dissent at all!

I’m thinking of going for promotion this year but must admit that the last few games a bit of doubt has crept in after my games on if I’m good enough etc. Any advice?
Don't blow for half/full time on a foul. I've found to my cost that it causes problems

I've sent someone off for saying that and and another occasion I've booked them for it.
- I called one player in for a chat, he pointed at me and told me to F off then walked the other way - Red Card
- I gave a free kick against someone, the threw their arms in the air and shouted 'oh F off!' - Booked for dissent

It's all about context with a statement like that. You obviously felt justified in sending them off and there's bound to be arguments, but there's always cases where it's the right thing to do.

Not sure what context there is to consider if a player tells me to Fook Off hes going for an early shower.

I get the post above isnt someone directly telling the referee to F Off.

Not sure what context there is to consider if a player tells me to Fook Off hes going for an early shower.

I get the post above isnt someone directly telling the referee to F Off.

Sadly, f off ref is probably the most common shout in adult football.
Context really has to come into play.

I hear it at games when i go to watch local non league team, it shocked how much players get away with the higher up the leagues they play.

Sadly, f off ref is probably the most common shout in adult football.
Context really has to come into play.
The thing is, with shouts like this as a result of a foul being given against them etc it isn't necessarily a shout aimed at the referee. It's just an outburst in frustration. I've done it in the past as a player where I've given fouls away and almost reacted in that manner shouting at myself so getting a routine challenge wrong etc. Unless looking directly at the referee there's definitely a line between dissent and INOFFABUS

The thing is, with shouts like this as a result of a foul being given against them etc it isn't necessarily a shout aimed at the referee. It's just an outburst in frustration. I've done it in the past as a player where I've given fouls away and almost reacted in that manner shouting at myself so getting a routine challenge wrong etc. Unless looking directly at the referee there's definitely a line between dissent and INOFFABUS

Very true and if you're showing reds for that especially at adult level you'll end up with 7v7

Correct, a grown adult having a call go againgst him in the heat of battle is very unlikely to come out with, oh bless me cotton socks i dont think am in agreement with that decision referee...

F off is not ideal!! But its more a natural throw away line, which we prob all use in everyday life.

Very true and if you're showing reds for that especially at adult level you'll end up with 7v7
The other added complication is if you red for someone saying it to you, do you red for someone saying it to another player? Much harder to justify but the way it's used hasn't changed

If its an "Oh F Off you" for example then no, obviously a lot of these would depend on game, tone, atmosphere of the game etc, difficult to say its either black or white.

Back