A&H

Is it okay to blow the full time whistle a few seconds after a goal has been scored and before restart kick is taken?

newref

When a goal is scored just before full time. Can the referee then blow the full time whistle or should he wait for the restart to be taken before blowing for the full time whistle? It doesn't make any sense to wait for the restart just to blow as soon as the re-start kick is taken, but is there any specific guidance relating to this? Thanks

The Referee Store
there's nothing to stop you doing so in law, however i would only do it if the temperature and standard of the game permits it.

i'd never expect to see something like this happen near a pro game or if the goal was contentious or a crucial goal or if the game temperature is very high.

just give the game an opportunity to restart and blow after 5/10/15 seconds. highly unlikely anything of significance or consequence will happen in that time

They absolutely can, but you're right in noticing that it's very rarely done - certainly not in a close game.

The general reason for this as far as I understand it is if you blow for full time as the ball goes in the net, it kind of implies that you've extended time to allow for that attack to finish. By restarting and playing on for a few seconds, it suggests that the goal was scored inside the correct amount of added time, with a few seconds still to spare.

Also second @GraemeS 's post. Just like any decision a referee makes, selling that decision (making everyone believe you are correct) is as important as making the correct decision. for example if you blow for a foul you are not very sure of, but sell it well, it is much less likely to get any disputes.

So if you blow full time on time and everyone believes full time was 10 seconds ago before the goal, you haven't sold it well. But if full time is just after the goal and you wait extra 10 seconds before blowing, there is no impact to the game but you have sold your decision much better.

Last edited:
In addition to the timing issue, it is better for making sure that you get any late information from your ARs. For example, say that your trail AR knew there was an extra attacker on the field when the goal was scored, making it invalid. By setting up for the KO,you give more time to make sure you get that info. While you can (as of a couple of years ago) now still change a decision after blowing for full time, it is much better to do so before calling for full time.

This is obviously rare, but I know someone this actually happened to several years ago. In his case, I think it was an OS flag he didn't see until after he blew for time. Per the LOTG at the time, he lacked the authority to cancel the goal as he had blown for full time. (I didn't use that as my example as none of us are going to miss an OS flag. ;) )

This advice of always taking the KO has been around for a very long time--I heard it from a retired FIFA ref 40+ years ago at my first referee clinic.

If its grass roots, 8-0 and you blow just after the 9th goal goes in then no ones gives a stuff. In a game thats still competitive late on then never do it for reasons already explained.

Don't blow up straight after a foul either. The players involved will immediately viciously commence fighting. Wait a few seconds after the restart before signalling for Full Time
For reasons behavioural scientists are yet to understand, the same two players will now ignore Covid rules will promptly shake hands and/or embrace one another in an act of mutual respect

If you blow for full time after a goal you are essentially saying that the ball hit the net at the exact moment that time was up, i.e. there was still time left when the attacker shot, there was still time left when the keeper dived and missed it, but as soon as the ball crosses the line time is up. As others have said, if one team is comfortably winning it probably wouldn't be questioned, but in a tight game it could cause you real problems. In the professional game they almost always play an extra 30 seconds after a goal has been scored.

I think I may have done this once, but it wasn't a decisive goal, as I recall.

Regarding the unwritten rule about restarting and playing for 10-15 seconds, I once did that at the end of a very contentious and difficult youth game, and typically a player from the team which had just conceded ran solo to score (to the jubilation of his team), making it 5-4. He did essentially score in time I should not have added, but there was no interruption or break in momentum to tactically prevent it.
It did mean that a manager who was intending to 'have words' kept strangely quiet at the 'second' full time. His counterpart was, to my relief, magnanimous in defeat.

I think I may have done this once, but it wasn't a decisive goal, as I recall.

Regarding the unwritten rule about restarting and playing for 10-15 seconds, I once did that at the end of a very contentious and difficult youth game, and typically a player from the team which had just conceded ran solo to score (to the jubilation of his team), making it 5-4. He did essentially score in time I should not have added, but there was no interruption or break in momentum to tactically prevent it.
It did mean that a manager who was intending to 'have words' kept strangely quiet at the 'second' full time. His counterpart was, to my relief, magnanimous in defeat.
I simply blow full time immidiately a after kick off which should prevent that from happening. If time is well and truly past the full time then it's is also wise to be wary of possiblity of a player intending to score directly from kick off and blow before the kick is taken. I have never had the latter though.

I simply blow full time immidiately a after kick off which should prevent that from happening. If time is well and truly past the full time then it's is also wise to be wary of possiblity of a player intending to score directly from kick off and blow before the kick is taken. I have never had the latter though.
I once tried the later in a school game at 18 😂

Sunday just gone. Home teams 9-0 up
91 mins, away team gets a consolation. Blew for full-time. Perfect, everyone happy
Ordinarily, it's not a good idea though

Similar game a couple of months ago. Except that after the full time whistle I yelled out that's the end guys, last goal wins. Know both teams well and got a good laugh from both sides. Well except from one worried newbie who thought I was serious.

Back