A&H

It really winds me up when ...

Alex71

RefChat Addict
Level 5 Referee
... people seem to worship us by saying we can't have football games without referees ...

Yes we play a part in the football family - but - we aren't Gods or even the most important part !!

For me - it's the coaches who are the most important ... they put the effort in mid-week and game day and would have the biggest impact if one of the following didn't exist
  • Coaches / Manager
  • Players
  • Parents (for youth football)
  • Referees
  • Club Secretaries
  • Pitch provider (land-owner)
  • Groundsperson
  • League Committees
  • (Who else have I missed?)
EDIT - list above is not in any order!

Anyone care to agree / disagree !?!?

Last edited:
The Referee Store
At university in our Wednesday afternoon intra-mural league we didn't have refs at all, not even one of the players acting as ref. We just agreed fouls between the teams as they happened.

Referees improve a game of football by having a sole decision maker. Assistants improve the game even further by getting better offside calls. Extra assistants are a complete waste of space in their current form, either get them involved properly or do away with them.

Don't quite agree with the pecking order in your list Alex and unlike you, it certainly wouldn't wind me up if I was "worshipped". ;) :D
Oops - it wasn't a pecking order - more of a brainstorm :)

@HertsFinest - I didn't actually say it was the players & coaches saying how much they love referees - some do though (!) - mainly it's parents on youth games

If you do want to be treated like royalty - come join me on the http://easternjunioralliance.com/ - lots of teams your way - League covers 9 counties ...

... people seem to worship us by saying we can't have football games without referees ...

Yes we play a part in the football family - but - we aren't Gods or even the most important part !!

For me - it's the coaches who are the most important ... they put the effort in mid-week and game day and would have the biggest impact if one of the following didn't exist
  • Coaches / Manager
  • Players
  • Parents (for youth football)
  • Referees
  • Club Secretaries
  • Pitch provider (land-owner)
  • Groundsperson
  • League Committees
  • (Who else have I missed?)
EDIT - list above is not in any order!

Anyone care to agree / disagree !?!?

Strike 'parents' in my leagues mate.