A&H

Jesus Red Card

The Referee Store
Watched this as I was feeding the baby at 2 this morning, nearly woke my wife up as I winced at it! Shocker

Not sure if this will work in Europe, but I’ll post. This is the CONMEBOL clip of the VAR review audio. At 0:43, you clearly hear one of the VARs say something like “oof!”

Reactions: one
As clear a red card it was, it was also clear it was not intentional. He was trying to control the ball without being 'careful' and being aware of where his opponent was.

We have had quite a few incidents recently that we have had debates around what is 'normally' ok to play the ball, is also ok if an opponent is around. If the opponent gets hurt, it's inconsequential. Two of them were after the follow through of kicking the ball, the studs of the kicker unintentionally landed on the opponent's leg. The other was an unintentional elbow to the face of opponent while jumping for a header.

In all cases, it's simple. It doesn't matter if your intent is playing the ball and this would be ok if an opponent was not around. If there is an opponent around, their safety is priority.

As clear a red card it was, it was also clear it was not intentional. He was trying to control the ball without being 'careful' and being aware of where his opponent was.

We have had quite a few incidents recently that we have had debates around what is 'normally' ok to play the ball, is also ok if an opponent is around. If the opponent gets hurt, it's inconsequential. Two of them were after the follow through of kicking the ball, the studs of the kicker unintentionally landed on the opponent's leg. The other was an unintentional elbow to the face of opponent while jumping for a header.

In all cases, it's simple. It doesn't matter if your intent is playing the ball and this would be ok if an opponent was not around. If there is an opponent around, their safety is priority.
Perhaps we are finally getting to a point where referees at the highest levels are starting to think more about giving more red cards. No doubt that this play and the Sweden red card were pretty obvious. But there have been other plays like the red at the end of Denmark-Wales and the Oliver red yesterday that were not so clear cut. If we are getting back to not needing games to end 11v11 at all costs, I’m in favor of it. I don’t think governing bodies should expect referees to be so lenient with send offs if they are deserved.

It's red no way is it yellow it's excessive force and no care for the safety for his opponent

Back