A&H

Journalist request- sin bin ruling

Robert Andrews

Hello everyone, I'm a student journalist writing a feature on the new sin bin rule which is being put in place in certain lower level leagues from the start of next season.

I was just wondering if anybody on this forum with refereeing experience at any level would be so kind and interested in answering a few questions? It would be a great help to me. You can either send me a private message if you wish or reply in this thread.

Firstly do you believe the new sin bin rule is a good idea and why?

In your time as a referee how much of a problem has dissent been for you?

Do you believe a sin bin rule will give referees greater respect and offer them greater protection?

Finally do you think it might encourage more people to become referees?

I would also appreciate it if you could leave your name and what refereeing experience you have and in what leagues. Again if anyone would be so kind to give me a response it would be of great assistance to my article!

Many thanks,
Robert

The Referee Store
As a Level 3 Referee yourself, @Robert Andrews , and therefore relatively high in the refereeing ranks, what would your view be?

Me, personally, I now only do youth football (typically U15 - U18), and I think its a good idea, needing refinement. I'm also a big fan of the same laws being used from the very top of the pyramid down to its foundations at grassroots. Dissent itself is a two-edged sword - be consistent on punishing it at grassroots to start to eradicate it from the game, but also come down hard on it at the very top to set the example. As the RESPECT campaign demonstrated, failure to apply consistently at all levels means it will fail.

I'm not a fan of it myself.
I think it makes things more difficult and, in truth means that the referee's opinion/actions now have even more potential to affect the outcome or result of a football match.
Things worked well enough before. It only needs a concerted effort and exhibition of zero tolerance (endorsed and enforced at the highest echelons of the game) by the FA and referees over a protracted period of time for things to change for the better. Not more daft mechanisms and measures. It's just more tinkering and over-complication of things for me .....

hi robert 1 it is a totally stupid idea,how can one referee time sin bins as well as concentrating on a game, it may work at the top level where there are plenty of referees doing one game
2 dissent is as much of a problem as referees chose to let it be
3 no
4 no it will drive people away from refereeing

Sin bins are not the answer.
The answer is to support refs at the top level. If we had a few months of cards for dissent, retrospective action, fines, public statements - and then consistent application of the laws regarding dissent at the top, combined with consistent support from the authorities, we would benefit - everyone would benefit, the game, the fans, of course referees, the authorities, and yes, even the players.

Thanks everyone for the replies.

It appears to me that this is just a half-hearted attempt from the FA to try and show they're doing something about dissent. If they really want to do something about they would do something higher up the football ladder.

They can start at the bottom too and get refs carding for it instead of bottling confrontation and also protecting those precious Club Marks!!! Last weeks ref and all that!!

Back