A&H

Jumping the gun

one

RefChat Addict
I am going to put my neck on the line and describe a situation I could have handled better. So go easy on any criticism.

U18, 6th playing 7th in a very physical game (the comp is on the home stretch and top 5 make the finals series). A lot of deliberate hard tackles and a lot of whining. First half ended up with 5 yellows, 4 reckless and one dissent. The last time I remember having more than 2 in the first half was 5 seasons ago. The thread is not about the yellows in the first half so lets put that aside. It's about the first of the two yellows in the second half.

Away team kicks off first half. I was in the recommended position and had a look at all players before I signal for kick off. After a couple of seconds delay the ball is kicked forward long to the corner to my left and two attacking players are on the defender in a flash and I know the only way they could get there that quick is to jump the gun. Too late to call for something I didn't actually see but I know i have to keep an eye on it.

Half time away leads 0-2 and scores another 5 minutes into the second half. 58th and home team scores. Away kicking off and I know I have to keep an eye on the attackers on the half way line to my left. I turn and look at them immediately after the ball is kicked to the left corner and they are running already 10 yards in the other half. Stop play, point to them, make it clear they have to stay until the ball is kicked and we go again. I whistle, the player who is standing on the ball dummies a kick, a team mate runs in from 5 yard and kicks it long and I turn immediately to see the two attackers behind me are running 10 yard in already, again.

I stop play, pick the encroaching attacker closest to me and caution him. I am about to record his number and notice he is already in the book. And for good measure a couple of defenders yell out its his second. I show him the red and he leave without arguing. One send off I could have avoided in any number of ways and should have.

The Referee Store
So they ran into the opponent's half before they had kicked off following the goal?

Was the caution for delaying the restart? Seems a bit harsh to me if I'm honest.

This is a genuine question: If you were aware of them doing it the first time, why not have them in view for the others? You mentioned turning around to see them, why weren't they in your field of view? If that means adopting an unorthodox position, so be it. Had they been in view, maybe you could have let them know you were watching and talked to them, would they still go early if that was the case?

As for the caution, I can see why you've done it. I think you could've got away without one. Maybe in this instance just heighten your awareness of the players in question, if you want to issue a caution to regain control, pick the player that isn't on one out of the offenders. If they are both on one, is the second caution you are about to give going to help or harm your match control? - you probably know the answer.

So they ran into the opponent's half before they had kicked off following the goal?

Was the caution for delaying the restart? Seems a bit harsh to me if I'm honest.
Yes. Yes. And agreed for a second caution. Probably not if for the first caution given that they were warned publicly.

This is a genuine question: If you were aware of them doing it the first time, why not have them in view for the others? You mentioned turning around to see them, why weren't they in your field of view? If that means adopting an unorthodox position, so be it. Had they been in view, maybe you could have let them know you were watching and talked to them, would they still go early if that was the case?

As for the caution, I can see why you've done it. I think you could've got away without one. Maybe in this instance just heighten your awareness of the players in question, if you want to issue a caution to regain control, pick the player that isn't on one out of the offenders. If they are both on one, is the second caution you are about to give going to help or harm your match control? - you probably know the answer.

One send off I could have avoided in any number of ways and should have.
Simple answer to your question. Didn't think of it at the time. Stuck to my standard position instead of adapting .

If I'm understanding this right, I don't see why it is harsh.
*First KO @one notices it must have happened, and files it away
*2nd half KO, they do it again, and he properly calls it back and warns them
*On the re-kick, they do exactly what he just called back and warned them not to do

As I see it, the best difference would have been the awareness that the player was on a caution, which could have meant:
(1) Pointing out after the called back KO that he was already on a caution and it would be a very foolish way to get a second one, or
(2) Being aware of 1st C and choosing a different offender to caution.

The other possible step would have been before the first 2nd half KO to do a general reminder--"gentlemen, please remember the whistle is for the kicker and you're staying on you own side till its kicked"--shows you were aware of what had happened before.

Reactions: Nij
Yes. Yes. And agreed for a second caution. Probably not if for the first caution given that they were warned publicly.

Simple answer to your question. Didn't think of it at the time. Stuck to my standard position instead of adapting .
If you've warned them, you were left with no choice
Positioning at restart is something we tend to get slack(s) with, leaving our trousers down without precaution

Sounds like you are feeling guilty for issuing the red card? The players and coaching staff should feel guilty not you IMHO

I think the main learning point is after the first false start you should have changed your position so that you could see the taker and the wide players, even if in peripheral vision, and didn't need to turn round after the kick.

Caution not wrong per se, although there could be an argument as you didn't actually see the encroachment offence given you were looking the other way at the time. Could the attacker have run at speed and crossed the half way line as the ball was kicked, in which case by the time you turned around he could be 10 yards in the other half?

Sounds like you are feeling guilty for issuing the red card? The players and coaching staff should feel guilty not you IMHO
Guilty is too strong of a word. Haven't felt guilty about my refereeing decisions for a long time now. Disappointed is a better word, that I didn't 'prevent it' in the first place. And I still had a chance to manage the impact of it a lot better which I didn't.

Could the attacker have run at speed and crossed the half way line as the ball was kicked,
No. As part of my kick off routine, I always scan players before looking towards the ball and given the kick off signal. These two players were standing just behind the line.

It was a clear set tactic the team used to rush the opponent defenders at kick off. They deliberately created a time gap of a few seconds to give the attackers who are out of the view of the referee to a head start. I am fairly certain they try it with any other referee who uses standard kick-off positioning.

In my self assessment, these are the points I came up with, in this order and any of those could have meant it would not escalate to the next one.
  • Not a lot I could have done to prevent the first encroachment but I could have had a quite word on the run to the attackers after it happened.
  • I should have stood on the opposite side of the half so I can have those attacker in my view at the time of the signal and kick off. Had they still encroached then the public warning was fine.
  • Keep them in my view for the third encroachment kick off as well. If they still encroach then caution. But don't rush it. Either remember the cautions from the first half or refer to note book (I had 3 from that team in the book) before cautioning. I had two players to pick from.
Clearer instruction as pointed out by @socal lurker is another option I didn't think of. I am fairly certain they knew it but clear instruction would have re-enforced it and could have prevented the encroachment.

Last edited:
Back