A&H

Kicks from the penalty mark

PinnerPaul

RefChat Addict
Just told someone something and although 98% sure I'm correct...……..

Ball hits crossbar, comes back hits GK and then goes in - that's a goal - yes?

LOTG says penalty over when the ball stops moving, so no mention of which way the ball has to go?

Just to be clear this is during KFP

Thanks!

The Referee Store
Absolutely counts.

There are some great videos out there of GKs making saves and the ball going off the frame 10 yards away with enough spin that the ball goes into the goal while the GK celebrates. Oops.

As I recall, the ball moving language was added to Law 14 a couple of years ago to make it more clear. Before that I believe the language was along the lines of the R decides when the PK was over. (But even then, I think there was something, perhaps in that back half of the old LOTG that made clear that bouncing off the GK this way was clearly a good goal.)

Absolutely counts.
This.
As I recall, the ball moving language was added to Law 14 a couple of years ago to make it more clear. Before that I believe the language was along the lines of the R decides when the PK was over. (But even then, I think there was something, perhaps in that back half of the old LOTG that made clear that bouncing off the GK this way was clearly a good goal.)
The current wording about a penalty being over when the ball stops moving etc, was introduced as part of the major rewrite of 2016.

Prior to that, it said (in the main body of the law, not at the back):
When a penalty kick is taken [...] a goal is awarded if, before passing between the goalposts and under the crossbar:
• the ball touches either or both of the goalposts and/or the crossbar and/or the goalkeeper

The referee decides when a penalty kick has been completed.

No ****...I was under the impression the penalty was missed as soon as it bounced out after hitting the post! It hitting the keeper being another ‘phase’ as such. Every day’s a school day.

Back