A&H

Kit clash?

The Referee Store
i dont think there's a clash at pitch level. looks a lot worse from the tv angle

At professional level, it's not in your hands as a referee. It's all pre-arranged.

Correct, and chances are the away team won't even have taken a change of kit as it would have all been prearranged.

I can't really see a massive problem there even from the TV views.

My opinion only, but I think games like Burnley-Liverpool where both teams are wearing very dark kits are a lot tougher than games like this. I'd much rather have a game with white vs gray or white vs yellow (think Argentina vs Brazil) than two teams in kits like royal blue vs black.

In the US, we had a minor bit of overreaction when many MLS teams came out with white alternate kits. There are a small number of teams in the league that don't have some sort of white kit. One of them is Seattle Sounders, who wear light green as a primary and black as a secondary. When they played at Portland (dark green as primary and white as secondary), both teams wore primary. You had dark green vs light green. I think all professional teams should have an all-white kit, even as a third kit, to guarantee there is never a situation where you have a situation like this.

I'm all in favor of kits that are primary and some sort of non-white secondary (i.e. Liverpool's black and teal alternate kit with their red primary), but having that all-white kit option can remove some potential issues.

At professional level, it's not in your hands as a referee. It's all pre-arranged.

Although that might be the case i know of situation(s) in the past when a team has had to change on the day, going back many years i recall Luton V Everton and Everton had to wear Lutons away kit as the blue home kit clashed with the Luton blue and white home kit of Luton.

Although that might be the case i know of situation(s) in the past when a team has had to change on the day, going back many years i recall Luton V Everton and Everton had to wear Lutons away kit as the blue home kit clashed with the Luton blue and white home kit of Luton.
It would have been done/organised/changed by the match commissioner appointed by the league on the day. These decisions are taken out of the referee's hands by professional league rules. The referee can flag issues if they see one but pretty much go with whatever decision the league makes on it.

Back