A&H

Know your competition rules...

RegalRef

Politically Incorrect
Was shown a video at a meeting recently that really drove it home...

KNOW YOUR COMPETITION RULES!!!

The Referee Store
Strange that he either made up the rules or has read them wrong, the fact he set out the extra time as two 10 minute halfs gives the illusion he thought he was doing right which is certainly bizarre. :confused:

Indeed, that is a harsh reminder as to how stupid a referee can look if he doesn't know the competition rules.

Oh dear, this hits very close to home. Was appointed to a match recently via the usual full time email - had the confirmation phone call, turned up as usual, only for someone to ask me how the game is decided if scores are equal at FT. Turns out one of my standard leagues had appointed me to one of their cup competitions, with the only clue being the initials of the cup competition in a corner of the email - and of course, 4 initials (something like "RTCC") meant nothing to me on that email!

Fortunately, I make a habit of bringing the league handbook to matches with me, so I was able to check (after I'd made an educated guess to keep the question asker happy!). And then of course, it's a comfortable win in 90 mins for one team and all my worry was for nothing!

Competition rules... So easy to learn, yet so many referees don't know them, and do not comprehend the repercussions of not doing so. Let me give you a couple of real-life examples I am aware of:

1) Supply league cup game. Game should go straight to penalties. Referee plays extra times and penalties. Player is sent off in the extra-time period, which never should have been played.
2) I was observing a referee on a cup game. During the pre-match I asked what happens if it is a draw at 90 mins. He had no idea. If I were not to be there, and the game did finish as a draw at 90 mins - he would have opened up a massive floodgate.
3) Referee believes rolling subs are allowed. He sends off 2 players, both of which substitutes (after the 3rd 'allowed' sub).

In summary ladies and gents:
  • Always know the number of subs allowed to be named, and then used.
  • Supply league and above will also include where these subs warm up.
  • Always know how the winner of a match should be determined.
  • Always know how long your halves should be (youth football mainly)
Check the above for new leagues you join, and for every cup you referee.

Competition rules... So easy to learn, yet so many referees don't know them, and do not comprehend the repercussions of not doing so. Let me give you a couple of real-life examples I am aware of:

1) Supply league cup game. Game should go straight to penalties. Referee plays extra times and penalties. Player is sent off in the extra-time period, which never should have been played.
2) I was observing a referee on a cup game. During the pre-match I asked what happens if it is a draw at 90 mins. He had no idea. If I were not to be there, and the game did finish as a draw at 90 mins - he would have opened up a massive floodgate.
3) Referee believes rolling subs are allowed. He sends off 2 players, both of which substitutes (after the 3rd 'allowed' sub).

In summary ladies and gents:
  • Always know the number of subs allowed to be named, and then used.
  • Supply league and above will also include where these subs warm up.
  • Always know how the winner of a match should be determined.
  • Always know how long your halves should be (youth football mainly)
Check the above for new leagues you join, and for every cup you referee.

I would add know the match fee (and expenses if applicable) as well, also who has to pay and when.

I almost felt sorry for the guy, only almost though. Just to picky he is also stood in completely the wrong place for the penalty. If that ball hit the bar and bounced down he wouldn't have a clue.

My mentor informed me that a referee applied the Competition Rules incorrectly on the FA Vase last weekend: They failed to play Extra Time. Obviously, that won't be a good outcome!

Not an excuse on Vase obviously, but competition rules are not always that easy to find.

I was on a WPL Cup match two weeks ago and referee found out that the 16/17 handbook containing the rules had "not been finished yet"

Not an excuse on Vase obviously, but competition rules are not always that easy to find.

I was on a WPL Cup match two weeks ago and referee found out that the 16/17 handbook containing the rules had "not been finished yet"
I think the referee would have an excuse if it wasn't stated so clearly in the appointment email!
Dear Sir, Madam

The FA Vase

First Qualifying Round

9-11 September 2016

Match Official Appointments

EXTRA TIME OF 30 MINUTES MUST BE PLAYED IF THE SCORES ARE LEVEL AFTER 90 MINUTES

Please find attached the match official appointments for The FA Vase First Qualifying Round.

Can you please take careful note of the instructions at the front of the appointment bulletin. Please note alerts will be sent to all the appointed officials.

Just a side note. What meeting were you at? Seems a bit harsh on the ref. Unless he has given permission of course!

First Academy meeting of the season mate. Apparently it is a Cheshire Ref.

Not surprised in some ways though, academy seems to have descended into point scoring a bit more than previously, although that's another story entirely!

Well this is thoroughly embarrassing.....though I guess he at least was happy to make the call. Though the whole extra time debacle....ick
Yeah, always go to the effort of tracking down competition rules. Although any competition should have a website with all rules noted on there. Would have been easy problem to fix....here ref, let me show you the rules!
I always carry a folder with printouts of all the comp rules I officiate in.

My mentor informed me that a referee applied the Competition Rules incorrectly on the FA Vase last weekend: They failed to play Extra Time. Obviously, that won't be a good outcome!

A few years ago I picked up an FA Vase replay at 4pm on a Monday night. I thought it was odd as it should have been an L4 and I was L3 at the time, but more so how late the call was. From arriving at the ground, having hastily negotiated an early exit from work, it was very clear that all was not well between the teams. Turns out that the first game had been level after extra time at which point the referee insisted on penalties, despite the fact both teams had agreed on a replay. The home team seized on this, presumably not fancying a long Monday night journey, and they backed the referee with just the away team refusing to start penalties. However, there had been no indication on the team sheet that the result would be decided on the day, so it should have gone to a replay. Somehow the away club got hold of someone from the FA, and an away club member then marched onto the pitch handing the phone to the referee so he could be told he was wrong.

Back then the same referee was kept on replays, and the by now home team were threatening to refuse to play unless the appointment was changed, seemingly leading to me being called up.

Just goes to reinforce that you must know your competition rules, even more so when clubs can opt to forgo a replay should they both agree.

Back