A&H

L6-5 PROMOTION

wenger

Level 6 Referee
ref about 2 yrs; only after chasing local fa told not got promo' late april- due to assessments?!
but had 3 obs during season all 3 marked at expected standard- could anyone post criteria for pass, so I can then spk to fa; also any appeal process?
thanks

The Referee Store
Unless I'm mistaken, you can only appeal if observer's reports are incorrect in law.

Could just be that you were unlucky with a particularly strong year (perhaps 3 standard expected just wasn't good enough). Don't give up, head up, keep learning and working hard and try again next year!

implies a quota system? didn't understand this to apply below L4.
also surely at exp' std is just that= acceptable competence, i'm in 50's keep up with play unlike many I see & mainly applied to receive some feedback.

How is your admin? Submit all your reports on time? Close dates properly?

Not unknown for referees to lose out on promotion due to poor admin, despite satisfactory observations.

nothing stated to me or known of. actually had very serious illness & 2 close family deaths in this period, so having continued to ref, i'm now loathe to just roll over, without knowing/ having actual criteria to discuss with local fa.

If I remember correctly it is standard expected for a minimum of 3 observations, you have to ref at least 20 qualifying games, and get an average of of 75 (I think, on club marks).

Can you speak to your RDO and just ask for advice on why you didn’t get promoted?

I believe the final decision about who does and doesn’t get promoted is made by your counties referee committee but you RDO should be able to advise you accordingly.

It’s strange that you have only recently been told that you’ve not got it as the new promotion season has already started and they’ve not given you the chance to apply again.

really appreciated this; will contact FA now & post response in case of help to others; I only got an email copy of letter(dated that day?) giving decision when I emailed the FA for my result.

The quality of staff at county FAs is extremely variable. The fact that they didn't inform you until you chased them, if true, is a bit naughty. It would be a bit rich to fail you for your admin and then not send the letter.

CFAs can now look at things over and above your refereeing performance.

- how was your administration
- did you turn down any county cup appointments on dates that were open
- have you failed to attend any disciplinary hearings
- have you failed to turn up for any games during the promotion season
- are your club marks poor and / or have your leagues said you aren't ready for promotion

Just ticking one of the above can mean you aren't promoted even if you have three x standard expected.

Surely its 99.9999% weighted about ability and not availability!! Jeez!! :(

I’m sure we’ve been over this before. Outside of having to get the minimum number of games in, it’s not about “availability” as such, although at level 4 and above I believe there is an expectation that you will be available at least 3 weekends a month.

It’s about administration, if you turn down an appointment but you haven’t closed the date then that is bad administration. The same as if you don’t send all of your fixtures to your observer coordinator, or you don’t submit the required forms after matches.

These things are all part of a referees job, and it is entirely appropriate that promotion candidates have these things taken into consideration when the time comes for people to decide whether they should be promoted or not.

Ive personally seen some referees that have got promotion locally and I wouldn't trust them on a kids game never mind a tough OA game. That said, i'm sure they had the latest matching kit, sang from a certain hymn sheet and had all their dots dotted and reports of their messy games in on time,,, Dilly Dilly :cool:

Ive personally seen some referees that have got promotion locally and I wouldn't trust them on a kids game never mind a tough OA game. That said, i'm sure they had the latest matching kit, sang from a certain hymn sheet and had all their dots dotted and reports of their messy games in on time,,, Dilly Dilly :cool:

Oh bore off, the same could be said for the useless old codgers who haven’t read a copy of the laws of the game in 6 years and never leave the center circle.

Why do you have such a chip on your shoulder that you have to pop up on every thread about promotion and have digs at the system and/or the people in it?

The “hymn sheet” you have to sing off is called the laws of the game, there is no requirement to have the latest kit, and yes, you are expected to do all of your administration properly and in good time.

Administration is part of being a referee, as is writing reports etc.

I'm sorry ZaZa, the system is absolutely perfect, i'll get back in my box!! :stop: yeh right!!!

I never said it was perfect, as well you know.

For someone who bangs on about how you were never interested in getting promoted, so we can assume you have no direct experience of the promotion scheme, you dont half have a lot to say about it.

Whether you like it or not administration is part of being a referee, as is fitness, and appearance and as such anyone who is one the promotion scheme willl be judged on these factors, as well as their on field performance.

There were a few in our CFA who were denied promotion purely on admin. The reasons being either failure to submit their log of claims or failure to inform the RDO of their fixtures (or being selective of the fixtures they disclosed).

At the end of the day the criteria isn't difficult, if you cannot deal with the easy parts (sending 1-email a month with fixtures, closing dates, emailing observers) then you only have yourselves to blame,

CFAs tend to be stricter on the admin side the higher the level you are. For a 7-6 promotion the candidate won't be doing much better standard games, and more often than not will be doing the same games as before. Similar can be said for 6-5.

5-4 is a totally different kettle of fish. If a CFA promoted a candidate to level 4 they are essentially handing that referee over to the control of supply leagues and, primarily, the FA. If they nominate someone who has poor, or in some cases terrible, admin it will reflect badly on them, so they will understandably be reticent to do so, At that level if the date is open and you are given a date on it you are expected to do it. If that means you can't make your mates birthday party, work night out, etc, then so be it as you should have closed that date. Especially as it is so easy these days with MOAS. You have to remember that these guys are making thousands of appointments, if they have to re-appoint 20% due to poor admin that is a lot of unnecessary work for them.

I remember hearing the story of one level 4 some years ago. He'd repeatedly messed up his closed dates, and despite living near North London he found he was appointed to a midweek evening game in South Wales. So he phoned the appointment officer to say that there must have been a mistake, to which he got the response "no mistake" and the sound of a disconnected phone ... :). Not sure how much of an urban legend this has become over the years, but I could see it happening.

Back