A&H

Junior/Youth Laces - holding up play

Viking

Small matter. U12 game. Just about to restart play when player calls out he's got to tie his laces up. How many times do refs allow this to happen or rather what strategies do you use to speed these stoppages up?

I suspect Ciley might say there's nothing in lotg about stopping for laces. However, it could be seen as defective equipment and therefore if equating this to an injury, the player should go off and play continue. When does that ever happen with an injury though.

What I did do was to say to both teams if you think your laces might come undone, then this is an opportunity to do them up because I might not stop next time. 7 players then did up their laces, amid laughter from parents, and no other player had undone laces for the remaining 30 mins. 40 secs lost which was added on.

The Referee Store
I am almost always happy to stop to laces, if it’s done as a clear timewasting tactic then I’ll make it clear to everyone I’m adding time on. I’d rather ensure a fair contest by making sure everyone has safely tied their laces and I have no qualms about stopping the game for 20 secs when the ball is out of play

Depends on age group, standard of football, stage of the game and if there's any unsporting intent. Generally, my attitude is fairly loose; which is fitting

Small matter. U12 game. Just about to restart play when player calls out he's got to tie his laces up. How many times do refs allow this to happen or rather what strategies do you use to speed these stoppages up?

I suspect Ciley might say there's nothing in lotg about stopping for laces. However, it could be seen as defective equipment and therefore if equating this to an injury, the player should go off and play continue. When does that ever happen with an injury though.

What I did do was to say to both teams if you think your laces might come undone, then this is an opportunity to do them up because I might not stop next time. 7 players then did up their laces, amid laughter from parents, and no other player had undone laces for the remaining 30 mins. 40 secs lost which was added on.

Common sense applies.

All the discussion you could want on this very subject right here. ;) And here. :cool:

Assuming we are not talking about strategy here (deliberately delaying the game) I think you managed it well. For me and comps I referee in, U12 is the start of the age group that I would not delay the game for them doing up their she laces. Its their first year playing 11 v 11 with recorded points and tables. They are old enough to do up their shoe laces properly themselves.
Goal keeper being an exception though at any age group.

Key word in your text is "restart". he might be attempting to delay restart play which is a offence worthy of a caution. but remember to use the stepped approach before cautioning, so that it doesn't make you look like a fool!

Outside of junior games, unless it's the goalkeeper I don't hold up play for laces. Have been told not to many times.

Back