A&H

Law 14 - The Penalty Kick

Smudger

Level 3 Referee
Morning guys I have a quick question for you, I am about to attend my BRC and I have been asked to complete some pre course work on the laws of the game and return an answer sheet for marking. I have done this and I am confused they have marked the following answer incorrect.

A penalty kick has been taken and the ball is then touched by an outside agent, such as a dog which has ran onto the field of play, as it moves towards the goal. What would you do?

A) Restart play with a drop ball
B) Restart play with a retake of the Penalty Kick
C) Restart play with an IDFK to the opposition.

I answered B but have been told that this is wrong, they haven't told me what the right answer is but to refer back to the Laws of the game booklet.

The booklet states "if after the penalty kick has been taken the ball is touched by an outside agent as it moved forward: the kick is retaken"

I am a little bit confused. The tutor on the course has said my knowledge was excellent, however I think I should challenge this... Thoughts??

The Referee Store
You are correct, if the ball has been kicked directly towards the goal (ie forwards) and whilst moving towards the goal it is touched by an outside agent, it is a retake.

It's not one of those trickly worded questions? I am sure you will have quadruple checked this, just groping for reasons why your answer was not correct.

If the answer was anything but (b) the number of pitch invasions at penalty kicks would increase significantly!

Last edited:
My thoughts exactly SM I am going to ask the question to the tutor via email and will let you know what he says :)

I have copied the question and the law over word for word.. Let's see what they say

Back