A&H

League Cup Final - Bio

WilliamD

Level 4 Referee
Hi all just been assigned AR for a league cup final.. Ref sec asked for "a write up for the program"...I'm assuming he wants a little bio? Is that normal? If so what would you normally include?

Also it seem as a "gift" I have a choice between a Nike Ref Shirt, Kit bag, Trophy, or Fee....is that normal? And is that instead of the normal fee or on top of?

The Referee Store
1) Yes, bios are pretty standard for cup finals (with an accompanying pen pic sometimes). Usually, they are a question format "when did you qualify", "where is the best place you've refereed". If I was you, I would go for something along the lines of "A level 7 referee, who qualified XX years ago after a 15 year playing career (delete if not applicable). Referees on the local XX league. When he is not refereeing, William can be found [indication about job role but not offering exact location and company etc...]". When providing this back to the ref sec, you could say something along the lines of "hope this suffices. Please let me know if you would something more specific, however."

2) In 7 years refereeing, I have never been paid for a cup final. Normally a match memento (i.e. medal/trophy) is given in lieu of a fee; travel expenses can be claimed, though. I am aware of colleagues across the country who are paid, though. If you are being asked for a choice, and a fee is part of that, I would assume it was "instead of the normal fee" as you mention.

I joined this forum at about the same time as I was appointed as AR on a league cup final, and wrote basically the same thing in my bio as I did to introduce myself on here. So as drahc says: how long you've been refereeing, did you play before, what made you get into refereeing and what else you do (both work and other hobbies).

Don't forget that there's an outside chance a player or a spectator behind you will read this in the program pre-match, so avoid anything you wouldn't want someone referencing near or at you!

And I was given a small medal for my final - that's very standard, I think being given a choice and having the option of a fee is actually more unusual than being offered a memento!

Back