A&H

Leeds - Fulham

Tealeaf

Lighting the darkest hour
Staff member
Bamford penalty for Leeds. Anybody else thinking DOGSO for the foul? Free header and gets shoved in the back ensuring he misses the ball. Not a genuine attempt for the ball.

The Referee Store
It wasn't genuine but is was an attempt. That's all the law asks for.

Either way the ball was a clear distance above the head and the likelyhood of control was very low.

Devil’s advocate a bit but:

- Defender unable to play the ball and realised that
-Tactical foul instead
- Next attacking touch will be an attempt at goal (irrespective of being on target or not)

It wasn't genuine but is was an attempt. That's all the law asks for.
That's not correct.
Where a player commits an offence against an opponent within their own penalty area which denies an opponent an obvious goal-scoring opportunity and the referee awards a penalty kick, the offender is cautioned if the offence was an attempt to play the ball; in all other circumstances (e.g. holding, pulling, pushing, no possibility to play the ball etc.) the offending player must be sent off.

That's not correct.
I believe you may have missed my attempt at sarcasm probably because it wasnt a genuine attempt.
I have in many occasions opposed the use of the word 'genuine' to describe this. The law doesn't use it, so let's just stick to the word 'attempt' without qualifying it.

Not for me, player didn't have control of the ball nor was there a high enough likelihood that he would. You very rarely see situations like that sanctioned as DOGSO.

I believe you may have missed my attempt at sarcasm probably because it wasnt a genuine attempt.
I have in many occasions opposed the use of the word 'genuine' to describe this. The law doesn't use it, so let's just stick to the word 'attempt' without qualifying it.
For some reason, I thought the phrase "genuine attempt" was in the laws (I only just realised that it isn't). I'm curious to know who first started using the term "genuine attempt" so I can slap them.

Reactions: one
For some reason, I thought the phrase "genuine attempt" was in the laws (I only just realised that it isn't). I'm curious to know who first started using the term "genuine attempt" so I can slap them.
Haha, IFAB, in a circular. They dropped it from the law I guess to makes sure people like me don't argue about how do we know it was genuine.

Back