A&H

Leicester City

santa sangria

RefChat Addict
DeBruyne just committed a handball offence in the box. Should have been a penalty. VAR did nothing.

Free kick, KDB lifts both hands above shoulder height, ball hits his arm. Surely this is a penalty by 2019 laws?

(Having just watched the Chelsea game, Burnley Bou highlights, and this... this is a dark day... comments below the line on the Grauniad are suggesting today's VAR decisions are designed to deliberately sabotage. I doubt that... but it looks hopeless at the mo.

The Referee Store
I'll add that the only thing going in his favour might be that is deflected of the adjoining defenders back (I think) a millisecond before the handball

And the fact the the ref 'cut the grass'

Not a natural position and IMO he had enough time to react.

If that's me I'm giving a pen.

and me. I actually make a point in my games of saying to players in the wall ‘if you jump with your arms raised and the ball hits it, it’ll be handball’

And now at the other end we have a very similar incident and.... VAR pen!!!!

I am stupified.

(Saved “as it was meant to be” as the commentator said.)

But really I am apoplectic after watching today. I feel absolutely cheated. I pay over 50 euros a month for ECL and EPL matches. VAR is killing this for me. I won’t pay for this again if it stays like this.

I don't think they're similar but I think they're both pens
Hands in the air, not deliberate, ball to hand at pace, ball going towards or close to goal... I think in terms of LotG decision-making they are very similar IMHO of course.

A very bad day for VAR. Different week, same hype & tripe
Keeps the 24/7 news channels going though. Which probably keeps the sponsors happy

Both clear penalties for me, I cannot believe VAR have said that De Bruyne didn't intentionally handle it.

This needs sorting out now as today has made VAR in England even more of a laughing stock.

I wonder if the var protocol has almost made the decision

The ref sees the kdb handball and cuts the grass. After that, overruling the ref in line with the protocol is probably quite tricky (And possibly incorrect)

If he doesn't see the Leicester handball at all then giving it by var is easy.

Just a thought

Both clear penalties for me, I cannot believe VAR have said that De Bruyne didn't intentionally handle it.

This needs sorting out now as today has made VAR in England even more of a laughing stock.
That is impossible, it was already so far down the (lack of) credibility hole as it is possible to get.

I wonder if the var protocol has almost made the decision

The ref sees the kdb handball and cuts the grass. After that, overruling the ref in line with the protocol is probably quite tricky (And possibly incorrect)

If he doesn't see the Leicester handball at all then giving it by var is easy.

Just a thought
VAR is supposed to be about Clear and Obvious errors. A ref saying no to something that is against current interpretation is a C&O error so should be called. However the VAR assistant HAS to suggest the ref reviews it on the monitor as it is a subjective decision and all subjective decisions should be made by one person - the referee - until the Laws are changed to say 'in the opinion of the referee, unless overruled by VAR assistant'

VAR is supposed to be about Clear and Obvious errors. A ref saying no to something that is against current interpretation is a C&O error so should be called. However the VAR assistant HAS to suggest the ref reviews it on the monitor as it is a subjective decision and all subjective decisions should be made by one person - the referee - until the Laws are changed to say 'in the opinion of the referee, unless overruled by VAR assistant'

Well, not exactly. Rs make decisions solely on the recommendations of ARs all the time. It’s just not true to say (even without VAR) that the R makes all subjective decisions himself—he often makes the decision to accept the subjective recommendation of an AR as the sole basis for a decision.

I agree with you that the R should be doing an OFR for all subjective decisions. And that is true everywhere in the world except the PL. in the PL and the rest of the world, the VAR is only supposed to get involved if the VAR thinks there is a clear error. We need to keep that in mind—VAR is not supposed to be used on close subjective decisions, only on clearly erroneous subjective decisions. The VAR here could certainly have been thinking “Inwould have called that”—but he needs more than just that to send it down, he needs to be,eve it was a clear errror to think it was not handling.

Screenshot_20200223-115516__01.jpg

All I can say is that all defenders in my games are now going to think they can defend a free kick like this because two EPL referees think it's not handball.

You'd expects this from U12 park football not from a pro footballer (in the top ten highest paid I think).

Back