A&H

Level 5-4 Fitness Test

drahc

L3 Referee. EFL Assistant. Tutor. Observer. Coach.
Level 3 Referee
Observer/Tutor
Hi guys,

Will be going for my level 4 this season, and have the beautiful fitness test awaiting.

Thinking I should do a bit of training; for those who have done the 5-4 fitness test, what do you recommend the best type of training to be? I'm thinking some track work, and literally just keep doing laps really! Any other ideas?

Cheers.

The Referee Store
Have England adopted the uefa fitness test or is it still the Cooper test?

Either way, if you have access to a track, do the uefa fitness test (150 metre in 30-35 seconds, walk 50 metres in 30 seconds). 16 intervals in total (8 laps). Feels easy for the first couple but is a very good workout

The test itself is:
· A 12 minute run during which you must cover a minimum of 2,600 metres
· 2 x 50 metre sprints in 7.5 secs each.

For the fitness test I would recommend doing an initial 12 minute run see how you hold up. From here make sure each time you run have a set goal to reach.

For example if you run 2000 metres and have 6 weeks to the test, try and do 2 session a week improving by a minimum of 50 metres a time. Planning and logging how you are doing would be better than just aimless running.

However, after the test I would recommend a different sort of training, more suited to refereeing? When are we ever going to run 12 minutes continuous? I find the test stupid but there we go...

Some of the sessions in this are brilliant for pre-season.

http://www.lancssundayleague.co.uk/downloads/FA Referees Fitness Guide.pdf

As a sports student at uni and a qualified fitness instructor, best way to train for it whilst staying specific to reffing would probably be interval training. If you don't have much time on your hands, do a 10/20 minute session as high intensity interval training. I had to do it today in a lecture and putting in the 20 minutes, as long as you put the effort is just as useful. A good very simple example would be a 30 second walk, 30 second jog, 30 second sprint, 30 second walk and so on. To make it more difficult reduce walking time. Go for around 6-7 reps and should be on to a winner. To mix it up and make it even harder you can add in 30 seconds worth of squats in between each walk/jog/sprint. But of course, each to their own!

Matt's post provides a great link and James comments about interval training are equally valid.

When training with friends to help them pass their fitness tests we used a variety of exercises. Here's some of them

Sprint 5 metres, walk back, sprint 10 metres, walk back, sprint 20 metres, walk back, repeat 10 times, rest for 2 minutes and repeat the exercise again.

30s run, 30s walk, repeated 20 times, 5 minutes off, then repeat the whole exercise, 5 minutes off, then repeat the whole exercise - running should be at 75% max intensity

2mins run, 1 min walk, repeated 8 times, 5 minute rest and then repeat the whole set again.

Run 4 minutes, walk 2 minutes, run 3 minutes, walk 1.5 minutes, run 2 minutes, walk 1 minute, run 1 minute, walk 30secs, run 1 minute, walk one minute, run 2 minutes, walk 1.5 mins, run 3 minutes, walk 2 minutes, run 4 minutes. Rest for 5 minutes, repeat exercise, rest for 5 minutes, repeat exercise.

Run a touchline of a field, walk the other 3 sides, run touchline and goal line and walk other two sides, run touchline, goal line and then touchline, walk the final goalline, run a whole circuit. Take 3 minute rest, then complete the routine in reverse so you start with the full circuit run and work down, take 3 minute rest, then work through another routine back up to the full circuit - running should be at 75% max intensity

Jog from one corner post to the centre mark, turn to the right and sprint to the other corner on the same goal line as your start point. On arrival at the second corner, do 5 sit ups. Jog to the centre mark, turn right and then sprint to the corner opposite the corner you started front. On arrival in this third corner do 5 burpees or press-ups. Jog to the centre mark, turn right and sprint to the fourth corner, where you do 5 start jumps. Jog to the centre mark and sprint to your starting corner. Rest for 5 minutes and repeat. Rest for 5 minutes and repeat.

Last one for now ...
Start on the goal line and run to the edge of the penalty area and back to the goal line, run to the halfway line and back to the goal line, run to the opposite goal line and back to the goal line. Take a 1 minute rest and repeat. Do 3 sets of 8 (24 runs in total) with a 3 minute rest between sets - pace 50% of max intensity.

Most important things in training are the warmup and warmdown - see Matt's link for good practice.

Can I just say, added to all of the above, that in my opinion, you should complete the test at least twice before the day itself. You will then have a feel of pacing and timings involved

Many thanks for all the advice gents!

By some coincidence, my work is ~3km away from home. That's a jog/run twice a day.

Highly recommend doing 400m laps though so you can pace yourself. Let me share something from last year:
2600m Fitness Test.JPG

The most important factor for the test is the lap times. There are some people who will try and do lots more than the distance. but the majority will only do 2610 in the 12 minutes.
You should be able to pace yourself to do the time & distance regardless of conditions (no allowance given for hot or rainy days).
Aim to be able to do 2700 in the 12 minutes, leaves you with some leyway.

Back