A&H

Linesman......without flag

Well... whistles are out too. Same with hand signals. Voice it is from now on. :)

I have done a game without a whistle, as an experiment for the association years back.. It was not really a problem.

There used to be a deaf league here too long ago....communication takes many forms.

Reactions: one
The Referee Store
You can still talk. "balls out, red throw". "balls out, corner".
Ref then does what they do today, and 99% go with it, or, decide no, its blue.
And thus we eliminate AR flagging one way and ref going other !"!
And if comms fail?

Comms are there to facilitate communication, not be the only source of communication. Comms and buzzer flags all help to introduce redundancy into the system.

I agree with others on here that the flag is also a communication tool for everybody else.

Also, FIFA have always tried to make the amateur and pro game as constant as possible (well, so they say). I know there's a number of things introduced which go against that now - VAR, AAR, etc - but those are things brought in at the top level. Makes no sense to flip that and take something away at the top level, to have ARs have flags at grassroots but not at the higher level

Reactions: one
And if comms fail?

Comms are there to facilitate communication, not be the only source of communication. Comms and buzzer flags all help to introduce redundancy into the system.

I agree with others on here that the flag is also a communication tool for everybody else.

Also, FIFA have always tried to make the amateur and pro game as constant as possible (well, so they say). I know there's a number of things introduced which go against that now - VAR, AAR, etc - but those are things brought in at the top level. Makes no sense to flip that and take something away at the top level, to have ARs have flags at grassroots but not at the higher level

Time will tell. Pointless anybody saying yes or no, cos, none of us know

Back