A&H

Liverpool offside

Zimmyman

If anyone saw today’s Liverpool 2nd goal could anyone tell me why it was NOT offside ??? It looked it to me ! But this is why I’m doing the course

The Referee Store
Number 9 is not interfering when the cross came in, so we can ignore him.

7 is onside as the ball comes in, and Mane can't be offside when 7 plays the ball as he is behind the ball.

Whilst Mane *is* beyond the defenders (except the keeper), he is not ahead of the ball.

Law 11 states for an offside to occur:

* any part of the head, body or feet is nearer to the opponents' goal line than both the ball and the second-last opponent.

Does that make sense? I'm terrible at explaining this. @_@

Reactions: one
Number 9 is not interfering when the cross came in, so we can ignore him.

7 is onside as the ball comes in, and Mane can't be offside when 7 plays the ball as he is behind the ball.

Whilst Mane *is* beyond the defenders (except the keeper), he is not ahead of the ball.yes thank you did not realise that the ball could be pulled back to someone standing offside ?

Law 11 states for an offside to occur:

* any part of the head, body or feet is nearer to the opponents' goal line than both the ball and the second-last opponent.

Does that make sense? I'm terrible at explaining this. @_@

When the cross came in that Mané scored from, he was behind the ball and therefore not in an offside position. Where he was at the time of other previous touches is not relevant.

If you want an illustration and explanation of this you'll find the following on page 209 of the Laws of the Game 2018-19 edition, pdf version.

Screenshot_20180813-131031.png

Back