A&H

Liverpool v Atletico Madrid

ladbroke8745

RefChat Addict
How does Diego Simeone get away with being so far out of his technical area.
Not just this game but any other game I've watched his team play in he is always well out.

Just now, he was virtually in line with the kicker of the free kick in the last minute.
And that was about 25 yards from goal line too. He must have been about 10-15 yards out. Constantly on the field of play.
Earlier in the 2nd half he was on the touch line when TAA tried to take a throw in.

The Referee Store
One thing I dont like is that away goals still count in extra time.

I'm no fan of either side before I start.

Liverpool had 90 minutes to score an away goal -and failed.
Atletico Madrid had 90 minutes to score an away goal - and failed.
So why should Madrid get an extra 30 minutes that Liverpool don't?

Can't say it's the luck of the draw. It is, in my opinion, a huge unfair advantage.

Ref did seem to leave his cards at home.

Gomez punished for the second goal for standing off.

But Oblak having a great game vs Adrian’s mistake has been the crucial factor.

Such a shame that Henderson’s amazing performance might end in defeat.

Can't say it's the luck of the draw. It is, in my opinion, a huge unfair advantage.
I just G****led it. Didn’t it change for a few years?

We crushed them for 95 mins and TBH I thought we’d well put them to the sword.

Anyway, the ref. No cards Johnny. And he didn’t look “full FIFA” with his warnings at corners.

Oblak though. Hats off.

At last! The cards!

I’m happy we played like the team that won 26 of 27 or whatever. At least for 95;)

Though that does mean the season can end now. And given the other topical issue, it might well.

I dont think the ref has had a bad game but everytime liverpool are tackled, in my opinion fouled, but when identical circumstances happen for Madrid they got free kicks.

There are definitely a few moments where Liverpool players could have benefitted from being a bit "smarter". On many occasions they could have gone down and won a foul, but instead tried to stay up, lost possession with their next off-balance touch and the referee didn't give the original foul. Conversely, Atletico players tended to just take the FK and probably end up better overall (especially given how their game plan was based around slowing things down!)

I dont think the ref has had a bad game but everytime liverpool are tackled, in my opinion fouled, but when identical circumstances happen for Madrid they got free kicks.

Come.off.it.
Liverpool had extra time in their own ground... HUGE ADVANTAGE.
As for the foul comment, you need to take the red blinkers off

Because home team get an extra 30 minutes with the home ground advantage. To balance that the away goal Durning that 30 min still counts as double.

Edit: just saw post from @deusex which pretty much the same as mine.

Because home team get an extra 30 minutes with the home ground advantage. To balance that the away goal Durning that 30 min still counts as double.

Edit: just saw post from @deusex which pretty much the same as mine.
Home ground advantage or away goals advantage, which is more advantageous? The answer to that question doesn't matter; extra-time will always be unfair on one team. It would be fairer not to play extra time in two-leg matches. 90 minutes in each team's stadium; if they can't be separated, straight to penalties.

Home ground advantage or away goals advantage, which is more advantageous? The answer to that question doesn't matter; extra-time will always be unfair on one team. It would be fairer not to play extra time in two-leg matches. 90 minutes in each team's stadium; if they can't be separated, straight to penalties.
I think you answered you own question. But something we can say is that neither team is getting something for nothing.

At least I’ve still got a 3 pin socket that’s the same use in Europe as Adrian performance last night🤔

I thought Danny Makkelie was outstanding, that wasn't an easy game to referee and he nailed it.

In terms of away goals, I've always doubted the benefit of playing away first. The first legs are always more cagey and there are fewer goals, which means the away team then go home at a distinct disadvantage. Added to that if it goes to extra time an away goal then almost certainly immediately settles the game as it means the home team have to score twice in the limited time left. I'm really struggling to see the benefits for the home team in the second leg.

The first legs are always more cagey and there are fewer goals, which means the away team then go home at a distinct disadvantage. Added to that if it goes to extra time an away goal then almost certainly immediately settles the game as it means the home team have to score twice in the limited time left.
These are benefits of home first and disadvantages of away first. It does not mean playing away first does not have benefits. That is, having disadvantages does not mean there are no advantages.

I've always doubted the benefit of playing away first... I'm really struggling to see the benefits for the home team in the second leg.
Who is likely to score more goals over the two ties of 210 minutes? The one who plays 120mn at home (proven advantage). If the team who plays home last uses this advantage and score more goals then the away goal rule would not even be considered.

Also the home advantage of the team with 90 at home is even further reduced by virtue of the fact you mentioned, it is the first game and both teams play more 'cagey'.

I am not saying which is better, just saying it's not as one way as some may say by presenting the flip side. We are having a knee jerk reaction to this because of the way this game turned out. Had AM not been able to score during ET, the talk would have been that Liverpool had significant advantage because they were playing ET at home.

Last edited:
Back