A&H

Log an extraordinary incident report?

Scottybee

Level 7 Referee
U15 league cup quarter final, white v red, a pretty average game and it’s 2 nil reds. 60th min and I call a foul on reds, the offender has a winge and I tell him it’s an easy foul to give (clearly two hands on the oppo shoulders stopping him jumping for the ball) he says it’s only easy to give because it’s on his team which I take as him telling me I’m being biased.

I issue a sinbin yellow, as I’m taking his name he carries on with more dissent/gob. I tell him he needs to stop unless he’d like to get a 2nd dissent yellow, he didn’t stop, he said “ok yes please” sarcastically so he gets the second yellow.

He then starts shouting at me that “I’m a f******g s*** referee” so I whip out the red for offinabus.

As he walks around the pitch (having left at the nearest touch line) he becomes involved in a verbal exchange with some opposition parents/supporters, he’s shouting abuse incl “you can all F*** O** as well”

My question is should I be submitting an extraordinary incident report for this on top of his 3 cards?

I was approached after the game by these parents/supporters who wanted to make a complaint about the abuse they received.

I will give the S/O player the tiniest amount of credit for appearing at my side with his manager after the game to apologise for his behaviour although I suspect that was his coaches idea.

Thoughts appreciated pls?

The Referee Store
Once the red card is shown and you've told the player he's being sent off anything else is misconduct and needs a separate extraordinary incident report

Reactions: one
I may asked some questions for self reflection on the incident.

Firstly let me make it clear, when a player is dissenting or is offensive, he is responsible and the reason he is being sent off, not you. If a player is agitated and you manage him well to keep him on the pitch then you are credited with positive player managemt.

In hindsight, can you think of anything you could have done differently to de-escelate (or avoid escalation of) the situation once you issued the first sin bin?

I was approached after the game by these parents/supporters who wanted to make a complaint about the abuse they received.

I expect that your report will cover the abuse towards parents and supporters but I suggest if they want to make a complaint out of it they should take responsibility and do it themselves.

Thanks for the advice all, as a side note and quite refreshingly, reds “head coach” who had been observing the game from a distance asked for a chat after the game. He said he worked for a current championship club who have this youth grassroots club under their umbrella.

He went on to say he thinks we (all of us R’s) do a great job and they appreciate our commitment to grass roots football, he thought the player’s behaviour was completely unacceptable and he will be punished internally by the club. He likes to see refs dealing effectively with players in these situations rather than tolerating abuse, as this gives a message that actions have consequences.

Couldn’t agree more.

I may asked some questions for self reflection on the incident.

Firstly let me make it clear, when a player is dissenting or is offensive, he is responsible and the reason he is being sent off, not you. If a player is agitated and you manage him well to keep him on the pitch then you are credited with positive player managemt.

In hindsight, can you think of anything you could have done differently to de-escelate (or avoid escalation of) the situation once you issued the first sin bin?

I have given the game some self reflection and concluded that I made it very clear during the pre game chat with the players that I wouldn’t tolerate dissent, so really the only thing I could have done differently (and it did think about doing it at the time) would have been to go back on that and accept some, the kid just couldn’t stop himself, I think i gained in match control at the expense of positive player management on this occasion.

After he was gone it was a breeze.

I have given the game some self reflection and concluded that I made it very clear during the pre game chat with the players that I wouldn’t tolerate dissent, so really the only thing I could have done differently (and it did think about doing it at the time) would have been to go back on that and accept some, the kid just couldn’t stop himself, I think i gained in match control at the expense of positive player management on this occasion.

Did you use a stepped approach to dissent? Or were you straight on it, first time, every time?

Did you use a stepped approach to dissent? Or were you straight on it, first time, every time?

There had been a bit of low level grumbling going on mainly from their keeper (who knew!) the sort of stuff that’s borderline annoying/dissent, so there were a couple of warnings, but not specific to this player.

I was less about what you did and more about how you did it (not the decision but the delivery). For example, could have you delivered the first sin bin punishment differently to lead the path of that incident into a different direction? Anyway, I am not trying to tell you what you shouldn't have done. Just putting forward a few ideas and attempting to trigger a few more that may help you in your future games.

I was less about what you did and more about how you did it (not the decision but the delivery). For example, could have you delivered the first sin bin punishment differently to lead the path of that incident into a different direction? Anyway, I am not trying to tell you what you shouldn't have done. Just putting forward a few ideas and attempting to trigger a few more that may help you in your future games.

Thanks One, you make a good point, I’m nearing the end of my second season as R and always looking to learn/improve.

Maybe asking a cheeky/gobby 15 year old if he’d like another yellow in front of his mates led him into a predictable response 😀

Thanks for the advice all, as a side note and quite refreshingly, reds “head coach” who had been observing the game from a distance asked for a chat after the game. He said he worked for a current championship club who have this youth grassroots club under their umbrella.

He went on to say he thinks we (all of us R’s) do a great job and they appreciate our commitment to grass roots football, he thought the player’s behaviour was completely unacceptable and he will be punished internally by the club. He likes to see refs dealing effectively with players in these situations rather than tolerating abuse, as this gives a message that actions have consequences.

Couldn’t agree more.
The question is... did this "head coach" influence or attempt to influence your decision on whether to submit an extraordinary report? Did you submit the extraordinary report?

The question is... did this "head coach" influence or attempt to influence your decision on whether to submit an extraordinary report? Did you submit the extraordinary report?

It seemed a genuine chat really, I didn’t pick up on any “you don’t need to report that” vibes.

Extraordinary report was submitted.

Back